Re: Why I choose Mandriva

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:03:24 +0100, Hadron wrote:

> Terry Porter <linux-2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
<snip>

>> Tough, cry yourself a river kid.
>
> Looks like Terry Porter is a bit of a net 'copter pilot too. Scary!

Flying a helicopter yourself for the first time has GOT to be one of the
most intense experiences around. Try it and stop wasting your time
Wintrolling here on COLA.

>> So what, most Windows users know a little about Linux. The more
>> intelligent ones deploy Linux as a gateway/firewall etc.
>
> And according to you 20% as Desktop solutions! LOL!

Lets face it, neither of us actually know how many Linux desktops there
are right now, or how many there will be tomorrow.

But I think that tomorrow there will be more Linux desktops than today,
and so do you, or you'd be trolling some other Microsoft competition
group.

>>> I ran Slackware 10.2 for a while, and performed such glorious tasks
>>> as:
>>>
>>> * installing a new kernel (generic 2.6.13)
>>
>> The easiest thing in the world.
>
> And yet in an earlier post you are suggesting that compiling fwbuilder
> from source is difficult.

Only for Windows users, when compared to Linux users.

"emerge fwbuilder" is all I have to do with Linux.

>>> * creating an initrd to use it with ext3
>>
>> That's fun, but really not necessary. Just make a 100MB /boot and make
>> it ext2, then there is NO need for a Initial Ram Disk
>
> bwahahahahahha.

You really have no idea why you went to all that trouble do you ?

>> You Wintrolls sure love spinning your wheels and bitching that you're
>> getting nowhere with Linux.
>>

>>> * adding the kernel to lilo.conf and successfully booted and used it
>>
>> This is a trivial task, nothing to brag about.
>
> modifying boot configs as root is not a good idea for a beginner.

Bullshit, it's easy as eating apple pie. If the beginner screws it up,
they can start again, no need to persuade 'Abdul' in Calcutta that your
license is legitimate like Windows forces them to.

> Thank
> god for installers like synaptic.

Spoken like a Wintroll.

>>> * got automount working with my USB key (created /mnt/usbkey, added a
>>> line to fstab, and put a new device on the desktop.  Plug in my key,
>>> dbl-click on the icon and it mounts and opens in Konqueror (and is
>>> available everywhere else of course).
>>
>> I don't use automount.
>
> So your opinion us, as usual, useless and not based on any experience.

Only as regards automount. Try not to build a religion with that one
little fact.

>>> * installed k3b (got it from linuxpackages.net), after building and
>>> installing a few libraries (libmusicbrainz and libsamplerate) from
>>> source.
>>
>> I installed k3B this way :-
>>
>> "emerge k3b"
>>
>> Debian users do it this way 'apt-get install k3b"
>
> You forgot the sudo.

Forgive my monumental blunder ....

Debian users do it this way 'sudo apt-get install k3b"

>> I said Slackware is for *Linux experts*, and you are only supporting my
>> claim with your tale of woe.
>
> Yup. Your "emerge" use was breathtaking.

I hope you didn't turn green ?

>>> I've hardly used Linux in the last 3-4 months, but I've installed at
>>> least a dozen distros to hard drive, and run another 8 or so LiveCDs.
>>> I setup Slax on a USB drive and booted from that.  I know my way
>>> around KDE, Gnome, xfce and even fluxbox.  I've installed MySQL and
>>> PostgreSQL and used them to create small test databases.  I know
>>> Syncraptic and KPackage and gparted pretty well.  I setup and posted
>>> to cola with slrn.
>>>  I've configured and posted and emailed with Kontact/Knode, Evolution
>>> and Thunderbird.  I've used Konqueror a lot.  I've spent an hour or so
>>> with emacs.  A little vi, even. It surprised me,
>>
>>> but I kind of liked
>>> Midnight Commander.
>>
>> That's just your DOS background talking, I know because I use MC all
>> the time, part of the permanent brain damage DOS did to me. MC is  a
>> "Norton Commander" clone.
>
> He likes it

He ? have you been talking about your dad when you claim to actual do
complex things ?

>  because of basic functionality. e.g I use dired in emacs.
> Trust you to suggest "brain damage".
>

>>>  I've tried dozens of Linux (cr)apps.  I prefer
>>> Konsole of all the terminals I've used.  I built a simple interface
>>> with KDevelop once.  I fooled around with beryl a couple times.  I've
>>> built a handful of packages from source.  I've installed OpenOffice
>>> probably a half-dozen times, since v1.9.79.
>>>
>>> Just enough to be dangerous as they say.
>>
>> True.
>>
>> This is all well and good, and does (if true) indicate some Linux
>> exposure, but its only the tip of the iceberg.
>>
>> You make Linux sound hard, or in some way less than it is (an admirable
>> Wintroll quality) but I know differently, as I rely on Linux 100% for
>> my business.
>
> You sell prepackaged Linux routers.

I sell WiFi, which is everything from WiF APs to antennas and cables and
connectors.

The *only* router I sell is a Linksys WRT54GL, care to guess why ?

>> If Linux was not 100% reliable, my business would stop.
>
> linux is not 100% reliable.

Ok, If Linux was not 99.99999999999% reliable, my business would stop

happy now ?

>> I use Linux for my business because I need zero downtime, and Linux
>> delivers.
>
> Stop bigging it up.

Stop bigging what up ?

> You dont "need" zero downtime to run post to COLA,
> run a blog and telnet into peoples machines without their knowledge.

I'm not interested in hearing what you do with Windows.

indeed listen to.  Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
          Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008