Re: [News] Red Hat CEO Challenges Microsoft to Actually Name Patents

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 03:36:54 -0800, Jim Richardson wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 23:20:47 -0000,
>  Rick <none@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Linux advocates are a fickle bunch.
>>>
>>> They change their position like a leopard changes spots.
>>
>> Some do. Others don't.
>>

> My position on this is, and has been, that software patents are stupid,
> and need to go. Whether it's MS holding them, or someone threatening MS
> with one, they're bad law, and a bad idea.

That was the position of the Founding Fathers of the US. They compromised
on what was supposed to be very limited time frames for copyrights and
patents. That system has been horribly corrupted. It would be interesting
to see what would have happened if the anti-patent/copyright faction had
won.

--
Rick