[News] Pressure on Microsoft to Embrace and Learn from ODF

  • Subject: [News] Pressure on Microsoft to Embrace and Learn from ODF
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 02:01:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft's OXML standard debate hots up

,----[ Quote ]
| “OXML needs a thorough review before India can commit anything. Rushing
| through the 6,000 page specification through the fast track process by ISO is
| not going to help. The ODF standard was approved after six years of intensive
| study,” said Venkatesh Hariharan, co-founder Open Source Foundation of India
| and member of Knowledge Commons, a Knowledge rights group.
`----

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Microsofts_OXML_standard_debate_hots_up/articleshow/2768249.cms

Didn't the Gates Fundation [sic] dump some charity there around the same time
as the "No" vote?

Format harmonization getting government help?

,----[ Quote ]
| The incentive for Microsoft to fully cooperate and fully interoperate should
| be greater given global antitrust pressures. ODF developers and supporters
| should take the opportunity to do likewise, thus improving format flexibility
| and choice.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/02/08/format-harmonization-getting-government-help/

Related:

[Microsoft on OOXML:] "Its a simple matter of commercial interests!"

,----[ Quote ]
| However the latest whine from Microsoft blaming IBM for its misfortune of
| OOXML at ISO revealed something interesting. Read what the Senior Directors
| for XML Technology said:
|
|     "Let's be very clear," [Jean] Paoli said. "It has been fostered by a
|     single company — IBM. If it was not for IBM, it would have been business
|     as usual for this standard."
|
| Business as usual for this standard? If he thinks its usual to fast track a
| 6000 page document with thousands of criticisms and due for a huge overhaul
| after the BRM, he must be deluded. Unless he meant "Business as usual for our
| cash cow?" - the cash cow being Microsoft Office. Yes, conjecture I know, but
| that makes much more sense.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/02/its-a-simple-ma.html

Microsoft admits Swedish employee promised incentives for Open XML support

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9033701