Re: [News] [Rival] Antivirus Company Runs Windows, Gets Hijacked, Serves Viruses

____/ William Poaster on Friday 08 February 2008 11:13 : \____

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/02/07/Antivirus-companys-Web-site-downloads-a-virus_1.html

>> http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.s-cop.com
>>
>> Netblock Owner  IP address      OS      Web Server      Last changed
>> Net Access Corporation 1719 STE RT 10E Suite 111 Parsippany NJ 07054 US
>> 207.106.22.8    Windows 2000    Microsoft-IIS/5.0
>>
>> It figures.
>
> <snip>
>
> Relevant to your post above is that AV firms report an all time high of
> malware, & the *majority* are aimed at ALL versions of M$ Windoze operating
> system. A few snippets of info below:-
>
> "Malicious programs hit new high"
>
> The number of malicious programs found online has reached an unprecedented
> high, say security firms.
>
> Reports vary but some estimates suggest there were five times as many
> variants of malicious programs in circulation in 2007 compared to 2006.
>
> Criminals pump out variants to fool anti-virus programs that work, in part,
> by spotting common characteristics.
>
> Security software testing organisation 'AV Test' reported that it saw 5.49
> million unique samples of malicious software in 2007 - five times more than
> the 972,606 it saw in 2006.
>
> Panda Software said the number of malicious samples it received in 2007 was
> up ten fold on 2006. In a statement it said the rise represented a "malware
> epidemic".
>
> Finnish security firm F-Secure said it had seen a doubling in the number of
> pieces of malware it detected in 2007 compared to 2006.
>
> Most of the malicious programs detected by these security organisations are
> aimed at the various versions of Microsoft's Windows operating system.

> I read somewhere, a while ago, that AV companies were having difficulty
> actually keeping up with all the malware being released. So it begs the
> question that even though all the advice is "Keep your patches & AV up to
> date on windoze machines" does it *really* help? I know from my "other-half"
> who repairs people's windoze machines (in her spare time) that a lot of the
> machines *are* infested with malware, & YES the AV is up to date. In a lot of
> cases, she used a knoppix disc to boot the machine, & remove the malware *&*
> keys from the registry.

Most Windows PCs are infected and about 1 in 4 is a zombie, according to some
estimates. Malware count is 5,000,000+ the last time I checked and AV software
is no longer effective.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Anonymous posters are more frequently disregarded