Re: [News] Microsoft's OOXML Forcefeeding Strategy Includes Deprecation

[H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
>
>> shellack, vinyl, 8-track, El-cassette, compact-cassette, DAT, CD,
>> DVD, Video Disc, Philips N1500, Philips N1700, Philips V2000, VHS,
>> high-band VHS, Betamax, VCD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, MP3, Atrac,
>> Apple-proprietary.
>>
>> I count 21 formats there, although I'm sure that I've missed some,
>> somewhere.
>
> Here's a few more:
>
> DCC (Digital Compact Cassette), DIVX discs (Digital Video Express), Sony
> UMD (for PSPs), SACD (Super Audio CD), HD-CD (High Definition Compatible
> Digital), DVD-A (DVD Audio), Quadraphonic discs and tapes, Elcaset (rare
> form of large cassette by Sony), Windows Media, Real Media, and Ogg (yes
> you can *buy* music in Ogg Vorbis format).

Ah, I'd forgotten how Sony spelt elcaset, and didn't check :-)  Also, we
missed SVCD, too...

> If consumers were stupid enough to always walk the media moguls' format
> treadmill, then we'd all have replaced our entire media collections 100
> times over by now.

When you look at the number of formats, the business model becomes
earily clear (seems like a mixed metaphor, eary sounds like you hear it,
whereas clear seems like you see it...).

>> Oh yeah, and when the originals start to drop-off, how about a nice
>> greatest-hits compilation?  The Essential Warble & Pluck?  The Best
>> of Warble and Pluck?  Warble and Pluck Live 2,3,4,5,6,7...
>
> You forgot "Warble and Pluck: Unplucked", "Warble and Pluck: Gold",
> "Warble and Pluck: The Early Years", "Warble and Pluck: The Platinum
> Collection", "Warble and Pluck: Remastered", "Warble and Pluck: In
> Session", "Warble and Pluck: The Official Bootlegs", "Warble and Pluck:
> The 'B' Sides", "Warble and Pluck: The Bits the Producer Threw Away
> Because They Were Crap but We Rescued Them From the Dumpster", and that
> timeless classic "Warble and Pluck: Now That's What I Call Warble and
> Pluck #107 (Summer Edition)".

Ahh, you were on a roll - how about:

"Warble and Pluck: The Singles 1969 to 1974"
"Warble and Pluck: The Singles II"
"Warble and Pluck Rock!"

So, you can buy the same songs on around 20 different compilations,
released on up to 30 different formats.  So, if you were a *real* fan,
you'd buy the same songs 600 times, and the "stars" would love you very
much.

>> Ahh, makes me want to watch Spinal Tap again (this amp goes right up
>> to 11, so that when you need a bit of extra oomph...).
>
> Scary.

Have you seen the film?  It's excellent...