Re: [News] Nokia is Snogging the Convicted Monopolist

____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 07 February 2008 10:45 : \____

>> Microsoft urges Nokia to offer Windows Mobile devices
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| While Nokia phones don?t yet have a Windows OS, they do use a range of
>>| other Microsoft software. This includes ActiveSynch for connecting to
>>| Exchange Servers and the PlayReady DRM technology used to protect purchased
>>| music and video content.
>>|
>>| Starkweather said the existing relationship between the two companies was
>>| strong and he was enthusiastic about it developing further in the future.
>>|
>>| ?We work closely with Nokia and we would love to have them go all the way,?
>>| he said. ?It?s something we talk about all the time.?
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16510/1055/
>>
>> Despite their Linux tablets, Nokia is a big lobbyist for software patents,
>> it's a monopoly, and the Trolltech buyout seems hostile.
>>

> And yet the N800, N810 and 770 have been brutally popular.  The reason
> microsoft are pushing so hard on Nokia is that they've gone further than
> any of the other manufacturers in adopting a truly foss approach.  If
> Microsoft can turn Nokia around, they might just manage to kill the
> N810, and whilst this shoots Nokia's long-term down in flames, who in
> senior management ever worries about that?

I think that Microsoft is just desperate for Nokia's attention at this stage.
The last time I read about it, the division behind Windows Mobile was reaping
huge losses and it had to be hidden from investors.

Microsoft loves competition.
"We should whack them (Dell over Linux dealings), we should make sure they
understand our value."
        --Paul Flessner, Senior Vice President, Server Applications Unit
Mem:    515500k total,   308836k used,   206664k free,     9356k buffers