[News] Google Offers Free Music Downloads

  • Subject: [News] Google Offers Free Music Downloads
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 00:46:16 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Report: Google planning China online music alliance

,----[ Quote ]
| Web search leader Google is planning to boost its presence in China by tying
| up with a Chinese online music company to provide free music downloads, The
| Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6229334.html

Will Google have the media moguls running after it (as well as Ballmer)? Free
music downloads are disruptive.

Related:

Free Radiohead music pirated

,----[ Quote ]
| Big Champagne, a Los-Angeles-based company that tracks illegal downloading on
| the Internet said that while 1.2 million people legitimately downloaded the
| album online, 500,000 picked it up from torrent sites.
|
| [....]
|
| It has also had more copies sold. Radiohead's previous album sold only
| 300,000 copies in the first week.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/18/free-radiohead-music-pirated

Radiohead album bets on fast release, open pricing

,----[ Quote ]
| The release of popular rock group Radiohead's new album next week is the
| latest wake-up call for a music industry still struggling to deal with the
| advent of digital music, experts say.
`----

http://www.news.com/Radiohead-album-bets-on-fast-release%2C-open-pricing/2100-1025_3-6212107.html?tag=nefd.top

Music industry attacks Sunday newspaper's free Prince CD

.----
| The eagerly awaited new album by Prince is being launched as a free
| CD with a national Sunday newspaper in a move that has drawn
| widespread criticism from music retailers.
`----

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2114557,00.html

Radiohead, 'Juno' blast onto U.S. pop chart

,----[ Quote ]
| Radiohead's “In Rainbows” album topped the U.S. sales chart this week,
| selling 122,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
|
| It arrived in stores in CD format on New Year's Day, nearly three months
| after the artsy British rock group unleashed the album to the Web at a cost
| to be determined by the user -- whatever price fans chose to pay, including
| nothing at all.
`----

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/extendedplay/2008/01/radiohead-juno.html

Music Industry Pressures EU Politicians for Filtered Internet

,----[ Quote ]
| The music and film industry continues to pursue its idea of a
| politically "corrected" Internet - one that they imagine could protect their
| old business models without requiring any extra costs on their part.
|
| This time, the fix is Internet-wide filtering. In a memo to European
| policy-makers, the International Federation of Phonographic Industries has
| called upon ISPs in Europe to filter the content sent across their networks,
| block protocols used by their customers, and cut off access to persistently
| infringing sites from the Net (you can read their full memo here). Left
| unsaid in it was the obvious implication: if ISPs aren't willing to comply,
| EU regulators should force the ISP's hand.
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2007/12/music-industry-europe-filter-pressure

Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent

,----[ Quote ]
| While a class action lawsuit is definitely one way to get Comcast to behave,
| another perhaps more productive way to do so is to have politicians step in
| and regulate.
|
| On Tuesday, I discussed the issue of Comcast's anti-BitTorrent "network
| management" with Rep. Rick Boucher, D-Va., who is a strong supporter of
| consumer rights and has led the battle to undo the damage caused by the
| Digital Millennium Copyright Act, or DMCA.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9804158-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

The RIAA will come to regret its court win

,----[ Quote ]
| And, he told his blog readers: "If [the industry tries to] keep up the
| strategy of 'you need us badly and therefore we make the rules' you will lose
| the artists, their managers... and the audience. Another 12 months for this
| Radiohead experiment to become the default approach. Get engaged or get
| outmoded. And do it soon."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/08/0810_riaa_comment/

Mom Sues Universal Music for DMCA Abuse

,----[ Quote ]
| The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) filed suit today against Universal
| Music Publishing Group (UMPG), asking a federal court to protect the fair use
| and free speech rights of a mother who posted a short video of her toddler
| son dancing to a Prince song on the Internet.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/10869/mom-sues-universal-music-dmca-abuse

Business Model Gone Bad: The Music and Movie Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| How Realistic is this new Business Model?
|
| How realistic is this? I think it is very realistic.
`----

http://www.5thwind.com/?p=58

Lessig: Required Reading: the next 10 years

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet governments continue to push ahead with this idiot idea -- both Britain
| and Japan for example are considering extending existing terms. Why?
|
| The answer is a kind of corruption of the political process. Or better,
| a "corruption" of the political process. I don't mean corruption in the
| simple sense of bribery. I mean "corruption" in the sense that the
| system is so queered by the influence of money that it can't even get
| an issue as simple and clear as term extension right.
`----

http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003800.shtml#003800

RIAA, MPAA urge pro-copyright vows from presidential candidates

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9821141-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5jkZFIwmc-8