[News] Early Signs of Disorder in Stacked-deck OOXML BRM

  • Subject: [News] Early Signs of Disorder in Stacked-deck OOXML BRM
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 00:44:00 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Dissing OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| Rather remarkably for a 6000-page specification, OOXML is on a fast track,
| but it has come into collision with over 3000 comments on that specification,
| many of them negative. The question is, how on earth can the national bodies
| (NB) who do the prodding, poking and voting, work their way through those
| comments to pick out the really key ones, and make sure that they get sorted
| before approval is contemplated?
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=464

The whole meeting seems like a farce. Microsoft has corrupted the process, but
who will sue the company for doing this?

Related:

More Irregularities in the OOXML ISO Process Surface

,----[ Quote ]
| If you read about what happened there in that article, "OOXML in Norway: The
| haywire process," your jaw will simply drop. I do think there is something
| the matter with the ISO process if this is how it works.

OOXML in Norway: The haywire process

,----[ Quote ]
| I believe that anything that sanctions unfair competition is bad. I believe
| in a world where the threshold for competition is low and where everyone are
| free to easily innovate.
`----

http://blogs.freecode.no/isene/?p=3

Microsoft Hires Programmer to edit Wikipedia Entry For OOXML

No is no, to OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| I’ve heard several reports of supporters of OOXML trying to get national
| standards bodies to change their votes from “NO with comments” to “YES with
| comments” because “it’s the same thing.” The logic, which I’ll explain in a
| later post, is that any comments will trigger a ballot resolution meeting, so
| there is no need to be so negative and vote NO.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1762

What Happened in Germany [on OOXML]

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like Germany is the new Portugal, actually. You do remember how in
| Portugal IBM and Sun were not allowed in the room because it was
| allegedly "too small" despite having empty chairs? Well, in Germany, Google
| and Deutsche Telekom were allowed in the room but were not allowed to vote,
| heise says.

IBM is still locked out of the Portuguese OOXML meeting

,----[ Quote ]
| In spite of various communications, we [IBM] are still locked out and will
| not be allowed to participate. Microsoft will be there, as well as a special
| Microsoft guest, as will various Microsoft business partners, and others.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1755

Latest INCITS Voting Results on OOXML; JTC1 Vote Begins to be Stacked

,----[ Quote ]
| The government decided to vote together, and to follow NIST (Homeland
| Security had voted in favor of approval in the previous ballot), so DoD fell
| in line as well.  NIST, you may recall, is an agency of the Department of
| Commerce (as I reported Steve Ballmer personally called the Secretary of the
| DOC to urge this result).  GS1is a technical association.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=2007082413463944

Microsoft Looks for the Big Guns in OOXML In-Fighting

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://xml.sys-con.com/read/419573_p.htm

,----[ Quote ]