[News] Parallels-Ubuntu Arrangement Soon to Be Announced

  • Subject: [News] Parallels-Ubuntu Arrangement Soon to Be Announced
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 07:44:41 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Ubuntu makes it easy for parallel virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu, will announce on Feb. 6 that it's
| making Parallels Workstation for Linux available to users through the Ubuntu
| Partner Repository.

Parallels releases Virtuozzo update

,----[ Quote ]
| Virtuozzo Containers 4.0, which costs $2,500 for a dual-processor server,
| includes several higher-end features:
|
| • Support for Windows Server 2003 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux
| high-availability clustering, a feature that lets one machine take over when
| another has failed.
|
| • Support for real-time backup using Linux and Windows.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9859517-39.html

Apple, Linux Set to Get Cozy

,----[ Quote ]
| Now Parallels is setting its sights on the server. Sources close to the
| company say Parallels Server for Mac, Windows and Linux will initially target
| departmental systems. That could be particularly good news for universities,
| which often run open source software on their Mac servers.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/01/06/apple-linux-get-cozy/

Linux on the Mac

,----[ Quote ]
| Before you install Ubuntu, make sure your hardware is ready. I think that 2GB
| of RAM is a minimum; you're also going to want at least 8GB of free space on
| your hard drive.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,137097-c,linux/article.html

SWsoft and Parallels Prep Virtualization for Different Markets

,----[ Quote ]
| Unlike traditional hypervisor technology used by VMware, which divides a
| server into several virtual machines on which users can run different
| applications, Virtuozzo partitions the operating system—either Linux or
| Microsoft Windows—into virtual environments or containers.
|
| [...]
|
| Parallels Server offers support for 64-bit operating systems, including
| Windows, Mac OS X and a number of Linux operating systems. (The product can
| also support some versions of Sun's Solaris OS as a virtual guest.)

Parallels Desktop for Mac: getting better a little at a time

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday, Parallels released an Update RC2 for Parallels Desktop for
| Mac.  For the first time, the application is behaving nicely on my Mac.
| I have my full 3GB of RAM back, the application is running smoothly,
| and Windows XP and Ubuntu feel native on my machine. Vista? Slower,
| but improved over the previous builds of Mac Pro.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/staff/upstairs.ars/2006/9/29/5465

Parallels Releases Workstation 2.2 for Windows and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Parallels says that its Parallels Workstation 2.2 product
| enables users to simultaneously run any version of Windows,
| including Beta and RC builds of Windows Vista, any Linux
| distribution, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, OS/2,
| eComStation or DOS, in a stable, secure virtual machine on any
| computer running Windows  2000, XP or 2003, or any version
| of Linux. No re-booting or partitioning is required, and users
| never need to shut down or leave their home desktop to access a
| virtual machine.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/virtualization/archives/2006/10/parallels_relea_1.html

Ubuntu 6.10 - VMware Fusion - Mac Intel - First Screenshots

,----[ Quote ]
| I managed to get my hands on a private beta of the brand spanking new
| VMware for Intel Macs earlier today, the following is the first (so I
| am aware) screenshot tour of the boot / install process for Ubuntu
| 6.10, inside VMware Fusion on a MacBook Pro (Core Duo, 2GHz 1024MB
| RAM).
`----

http://www.kungfooo.com/2006/11/04/ubuntu-610-vmware-fusion-mac-intel/

Two leading virtualization companies are one

,----[ Quote ]
| In a memo to their employees, the CEOs of two leading
| virtualization companies recently revealed that their
| companies have merged. Specifically, Serguei Beloussov,
| of SWsoft Inc. and Nick Dobrovolskiy of Parallels Inc.
| acknowledged that SWsoft now owns Parallels.

Parallels Desktop for Mac

,----[ Quote ]
| If you are planning to purchase Parallels for Windows on your Mac, you
| should take advantage of the opportunity to download and try the free
| open-source Edgy Eft from Ubuntu. I would venture to guess that after
| you use Ubuntu a few times, you may just want to wipe out that Windows
| partition on your home PC and install Ubuntu.
`----

http://lunapark6.com/parallels-desktop-for-mac.html

LGPL Issue Parallels Solved

,----[ Quote ]
| The issue between WINE and Parallels has been solved.

Near-Native Virtualization Solutions for Linux -- VMware vs. Parallels

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.samag.com/documents/s=10132/sam0715c/0715c.htm