[News] Mobile World Congress 2008 Includes ACCESS Linux

  • Subject: [News] Mobile World Congress 2008 Includes ACCESS Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 06:45:47 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
ACCESS to Exhibit at GSMA Mobile World Congress 2008

,----[ Quuote ]
| The ACCESS theme this year is "Open Up Your World." ACCESS products that
| anticipate the latest trends in the mobile industry will be on display,
| notably ACCESS Linux Platform(TM)...
`----

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/industries/technology/article/access-exhibit-gsma-mobile-world-congress-2008_462507_12.html
http://tinyurl.com/2wortp

Some new publications also:

Linux Gazette: February 2008 (#147)

http://linuxgazette.net/147/index.html

White paper: Accelerating the Development of Embedded Linux Devices with JTAG
On-Chip Debugging

,----[ Quote ]
| Debugging embedded Linux products has traditionally required a mixture of
| hardware and software tools—JTAG tools for hardware bring-up and agent-based
| solutions for software development. These JTAG- and agent-based tools often
| solved point problems but were not designed for integrated Linux development.
`----

http://www.embedded-computing.com/articles/id/?2896

Recent:

Embedded Linux as Dependable for Developers as RTOSes, says Embedded Market
Forecasters

,----[ Quote ]
| "This study shows that designing with an embedded Linux OS can be as
| dependable as designing with an RTOS,” said Dr. Jerry Krasner, an embedded
| technology authority and the author of the study. “The availability of
| general and application-specific tool sets has enabled designs that are
| on-time and close to pre-design expectations. However, these results are
| specific to commercial embedded Linux and RTOSes, and were not experienced to
| the same extent by in-house Linux development efforts. Our studies have
| clearly shown that time-to-market and final design results play a huge role
| in the financial success of a design project. Clearly, a few tens of
| thousands of dollars in up-front costs to purchase a superior time-to-market
| OS is very small compared to the downside risk of cost overruns and loss of
| market share.”
`----

http://software.tekrati.com/research/9955/

Microsoft cans key conference

,----[ Quote ]
| SOFTWARE giant Microsoft has decided that it does not love its popular Mobile
| and Embedded DevCon any more and has pulled the plug.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/16/microsoft-cans-key-conference

Related:

Linux to grow 278% in embedded/mobile/real-time apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux use in "next" embedded, mobile, and real-time projects will grow 278
| percent over that in "previous" projects, suggests a recent survey by Venture
| Development Corp. (VDC).

PCs step aside… smarter mobiles are coming

,----[ Quote ]
| Citing the examples of the company’s single core solutions for smart phones,
| consumer electronics and automotive entertainment and ARM Mali graphics
| processors, and its collaboration for Linux mobile computing, Mr Keith said
| mobile phone makers are taking to a platform approach which offers
| flexibility to add new features.
`----

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2007/11/05/stories/2007110550450200.htm

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

PCs being pushed aside in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071104/ap_on_hi_te/bye_bye_pcs

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

Funambol CEO Fabrizio Capobianco: Linux Is Mobile's Future

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxInsider met with Capobianco to discuss his view on the role of open
| source in creating Mobile 2.0 as a voice and data carrier parallel to the
| Internet. The meeting occurred in the wake of Google's announcement earlier
| this month that it was negotiating with wireless carriers, handset makers,
| software developers and hardware providers to use an open source mobile
| platform, Android.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/60340.html

After the Desktop -- What?

,----[ Quote ]
| I would suggest that the open source community should stop obsessing
| with the battle for the desktop, and start focusing on the battle for
| the platform that will replace it. As I have said before, the day
| will soon come when the notion of having to go to a particular
| machine on a particular room every time you need access to
| information or computer power will be as obsolete as the notion
| of having to go to the hand pump over the well in the front
| yard every time you need water.
`----

http://trevors-trinkets.blogspot.com/2007/02/after-desktop-what.html

Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

,----[ Quote ]