Re: Why Microsoft (and Its Shills) Lie About Linux Installed Base

On Feb 2, 12:35 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> ____/ Linonut on Saturday 02 February 2008 17:35 : \____
>

> > * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
> >> The World According to Linux
>
> >> ,----[ Quote ]
> >> `----
>
> >>http://linuxhow2.com/Feature_Articles/The_World_According_to_Linux.html
>
> >> Not everyone gets Linux preinstalled on a PC. Few people do. Case of point
> >> (new):
>
> >    Maybe using website stats is a stupid way to generalize about the
> >    entire PC market. If I happen to visit a site geared towards
> >    programmers and web developers, I usually find that the number of
> >    Linux users is much higher than usual. Maybe Linux users, like the
> >    rest of the people on the Internet, visit those sites that interest
> >    them most. Maybe web statistics are stupid. Maybe it's kind of weird
> >    that so many Windows, Internet Explorer, users are visiting this
> >    site. It's a Linux-fan site, guys!
>
> >> "We are implementing Linux in large govt projects across the country"
> >>http://dqweek.ciol.com/content/Columns/107072002.asp
>
> >> Linux-based Solutions
> >>http://www.dmnnewswire.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=110125
>
> >> Dell leads the Linux workstation market
> >>http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/362/
>
> >> Survey Says ? Linux Desktop Is Ever More Popular
> >>http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2235654,00.asp

> >>http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/11/desktop-os-vista-vs-linux.html
>
> >> Linux Users Base More Than doubled Over Last One Year: Survey
>
> http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/psecom,id,22,site_layout,sdaindia,...
>

> >> Survey: Desktop Linux use grows
> >>http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatch/archives/013576.html
>
> >> Desktop Linux on the Rise, Linux Foundation Reports
> >>http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2220549,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K...

I followed your links.  Found some other interesting links.

http://www.kace.com/pdf/KACE_VistaSurvey.pdf
According to the KACE survey, 44% of the companies surveyed are
looking to non-windows solutions, and 68% of those are looking at some
flavor of Linux.

http://tinyurl.com/23sc2s
Forrester things Linux is pretty hot.
<quote>
Linux is becoming a credible threat to Windows on the desktop, and
will grow over the next year as its distributors continue to work hard
at making it an enterprise-class offering, research group Forrester
predicts.

"Will desktop managers continue down the path of standardization on
the Windows platform, and will Linux not exist on enterprise desktops?
Not a chance," Forrester analyst Benjamin Gray says in a report
released Nov. 12 and titled, "How Windows Vista Will Shake Up The
State Of The Enterprise Operating System."

"The high volume of client inquiries for Linux on the desktop clearly
indicates its not going away any time soon. Expect Linux to experience
growth over the next year as the distributors work hard to make it an
enterprise-class offering,"
</quote>

> Their numbers are intended to demoralise users and encourage developers not to
> support Linux. In these studies, someone is typically paying the bills and
> particular sites donate their log files for a reasons. There's history to
> support this assertion.

Remember that browser based statistics only show who has the most
desktops attached to public IP addresses, not the number of desktops
accessing the site.  Furthermore, many of these browser surveys look
for the Operating system in the first element of the browser
signature, which on Linux systems is usually "X11" not "Linux".
Windows and Mac systems list "Windows" or "Macintosh" as their first
element.  Such surveys don't make any mention of the "Other" catagory,
about 80% of which has the X11 signature.  The very small percentage
of Linux measured by these surveys is usually from browsers that have
put Linux in the first field, such as Konqueror.  FireFox, for
example, lists X11 as the operating system.  Here is a sample of
browser signatures.

http://www.enduser.co.uk/brsrhits.html

We seem to have come full circle.  The topic has been widely discussed
on COLA, and now has made it out to a Blog.  Maybe it will eventually
bubble up to a major sites or publication.

Here's another example.
http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/bstats/latest.html

Browser Platforms                Hosts     %
  1. Windows 2K (NT5)              2292  50.5
  2. Windows NT                     361   8.0
  3. X11                            215   4.7
  4. Macintosh                      164   3.6
  5. Windows                         67   1.5
  6. other                         1440  31.7

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

2007  	WinXP  	W2000  	Win98  	Vista  	W2003  	Linux  	Mac
December 	73.4% 	4.7% 	1.3% 	6.5% 	1.9% 	3.5% 	4.0%
November 	72.8% 	5.1% 	1.0% 	6.3% 	2.0% 	3.3% 	3.9%
October 	73.9% 	4.9% 	0.9% 	5.6% 	1.9% 	3.3% 	3.9%
September 	74.3% 	5.4% 	0.9% 	4.5% 	2.0% 	3.4% 	3.9%
August 	74.4% 	5.7% 	0.9% 	4.0% 	2.0% 	3.4% 	3.9%
July 	74.6% 	6.0% 	0.9% 	3.6% 	2.0% 	3.4% 	4.0%
June 	74.6% 	6.2% 	0.9% 	3.2% 	2.0% 	3.4% 	4.0%
May 	75.0% 	6.5% 	0.9% 	2.8% 	1.9% 	3.4% 	3.9%
April 	75.8% 	6.8% 	0.9% 	2.6% 	1.9% 	3.4% 	3.9%
March 	76.0% 	7.2% 	0.9% 	1.9% 	1.9% 	3.4% 	3.8%
February 	76.1% 	7.4% 	0.9% 	1.2% 	1.9% 	3.5% 	3.8%
January 	76.1% 	7.7% 	1.0% 	0.6% 	1.9% 	3.6% 	3.8%

Remember too, that since the survey just measures IP addresses, it
becomes easier to skew the result by adding more IP addresses to the
DHCP pool.

Then you have to weight based on the type of connection.  Linux users
typically use NAT routers, either with their direct connection, or
through their ISP.  Windows users often get DHCP addresses with each
reconnection.  If a dial-up users dials every day, or a cellular phone
user reconnects only once per day, each Windows machine could have 30
different IP addresses.  If the Linux machines are sharing a single
NAT router that keeps the same public IP address for over a month, you
could have 2000 Linux machines hiding behind only 1 IP address.

Some of these surveys also assume that there can be only one operating
system per IP address, so if an IP has BOTH Linux and Windows behind
it, the statistics could end up only measuring the Windows system.

Some surveys count the number of hits for each operating system.  If a
Linux user uses a cache such as squid, the browser will get the
locally cached copy over and over, while the Windows users will be
getting hits for each GIF, include, or element of the frame.

If Windows tries to preload links, or ActiveScript pulls down lots of
different items, this can also skew the count.