[News] Eeedora Replaces Xandros on the Eee; Fedora's RPM Fusion Introduced

  • Subject: [News] Eeedora Replaces Xandros on the Eee; Fedora's RPM Fusion Introduced
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 15:04:08 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Eeedora Impressions

,----[ Quote ]
| The installation process went on pretty smoothly. During partitioning, I was
| pretty much rid of Xandros - the chosen default was actually the most
| sensible. Just one / partition, filling up the entire disk, with no swap. As
| usual, anaconda (the Fedora installer) will warn you that not having a swap
| partition will be detrimental to performance - I wonder how many newbies
| might decide to create a swap partition (kind of a big no-no, on these SSD
| based devices).
`----

http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives/2008/01/31/eeedora-impressions

RPM Fusion - Interviews

What is the RPM Fusion project?

,----[ Quote ]
| Hans de Goede: We want to be a one stop place for Fedora add-on packages
| which cannot be in Fedora proper due to various issues. Currently we are a
| merger of the dribble, freshrpms and livna repositories, and we invite other
| repositories to join us.
`----

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Interviews/RPMFusion

Related:

Sulphur - Codename for Fedora 9

,----[ Quote ]
| Try as they might, the Bathysphere lobbyists failed in their quest to have
| the little round ships be the moniker for Fedora 9.  Instead, by a narrow
| margin, the community has chosen Sulphur to be the codename for Fedora 9.
| Full election results below.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/linux/15891/sulphur-codename-fedora-9

Fedora 8 Tips Topper

,----[ Quote ]
| Fedora 8, the company's community-developed Linux distribution arrived in
| early December as planned and was bumped to version 8.0.1 before the end of
| the year. The biggest changes to the distribution in this trip to the
| haberdasher are numerous targeted installations, dubbed “Spins” by the Red
| Hat team behind its development. Also included are desktop graphic
| enhancements that make this free Linux distribution behave more like its
| commercial competition from Apple and Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| Desktop users will likely notice some graphical additions to their windows
| and scroll bars, as Fedora 8.0.1 includes Compiz Fusion. Compiz Fusion is
| installed by default, but must be enabled by the user in the system
| preferences. Once enabled, Compiz Fusion brings window morphing and desktop
| rotation into the user experience, and has been compared to Mac OS X’s Spaces
| feature.
`----

http://www.sdtimes.com/article/story-20080115-07.html

Fedora 8 renews tradition of innovations

,----[ Quote ]
| This release makes it obvious that the Fedora community prides itself on
| innovation.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/119998

Community Welcomes Fedora 8 With Strong Download Numbers

,----[ Quote ]
| Fedora 8 offers both GNOME and KDE-based Live CDs and a general-purpose
| installable DVD for workstations and servers. It also includes improved Live
| USB support, making it possible to install, boot and run the entire
| distribution off of a USB key without touching the computer's hard disk at
| all. This enhancement makes Fedora attractive to those who wish to experiment
| with Linux without risking their data.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/071112/20071112005990.html?.v=1

Upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit Fedora Linux without a system reinstall

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/123800