[News] KDE's 'Flip Mode' Better Than Vista's 'Flop Mode'?

  • Subject: [News] KDE's 'Flip Mode' Better Than Vista's 'Flop Mode'?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 15:02:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
KDE Digest

,----[ Quote ]
| At the University I attend, I am enrolled in an OpenGL computer graphics
| course, and so I learned the basics of OpenGL programming. With the upcoming
| KDE 4.0 release, I thought about trying to see if I could write a small
| effect for KDE. This was around Christmas - I was missing the "seasons"
| effect. So, inspired by Compiz Fusion's Snow Effect, I implemented this
| effect for KDE.
`----

http://commit-digest.org/issues/2008-01-27/

Watch the image.

Related:

Broken Aero interface in Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista has beautiful user interface called Aero, and it is one of the main
| selling points of Windows Vista.
|
| I have some issues, however. When Aero is enabled, some applications that use
| MDI user interface have minor graphics glitches, yet it is very annoying.
`----

http://www.vista-secrets.net/blog/broken-aero-interface-in-vista/

What is wrong with Flip 3D and Control Panel in Windows Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| At the same time running control panel is impossible. Control panel window
| appears for a very very short time (as an empty window) and disappears
| instantly. None of the components of control panel are operational. For
| example you cannot even change your background wallpaper.
| The confusing part is that it does not happen every time the system boots up.
|
| I googled the problem but found few things as to what the reason could be. It
| is suggested that a driver, or software that you have installed might be the
| problem. But believe me, you cannot find out which one is to blame.
`----

http://osnovice.blogspot.com/2007/08/what-is-wrong-with-flip-3d-and-control.html

Xubuntu Compiz Fusion VERY OLD computer / Better than Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Computer Specs:
| PIII 800 + 128 MB RAM + GeForce 2 MX/400 32 MB RAM
|
| Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon + Compiz-Fusion + Emerald.
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qddueXkD8E

Vista Aero: Linux Is Eating Your Lunch

,----[ Quote ]
| Take a look at this screengrab from an AMD machine running Linux.
| What are we seeing? Wobbly, transparent windows, hot UI effects, an
| amazing 3D task switcher, and enough eye-candy to make Vista Ultimatel
| ook like Midnight Commander.
|
| I'm not saying we all go out and pick up a copy of Ubuntu, but maybe
| that's actually what I'm saying.
`----

http://crunchgear.com/2007/01/31/vista-aero-linux-is-eating-your-lunch/

Make Windows Vista Aero Hideous and Deformed

,----[ Quote ]
| The concept behind rendering Windows Aero, the top of the line,
| graphical user interface in Windows Vista hideous and deformed it
| is just to show you not only the extent that Microsoft enables
| users to control their visual experience with the Vista desktop,
| but also what not to do with the UI.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Make-Windows-Vista-Aero-Hideous-and-Deformed-55460.shtml

Aero Theme is bad, disable it

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow, 1.6 GB of memory used. Let's look at DWM with Task Manager and Process
| Explorer:
|
| [screenshots]
|
| As you can see for yourself, the DWM process, which should not have
| changed at all (based on Microsoft claims that it does not take up
| a lot of resources), has in fact grown to consume 105 MB of memory,
| and just look at the Process Explorer output!!!
`----

http://www.petri.co.il/vista_aero_performance_issues.htm

Microsoft Claims Vista's Aero Interface Doesn't Slow PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Principled Technologies, which conducted the research for Microsoft, is
|                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| offering a download of the report.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196800080

Understanding Windows Vista Aero Glass Requirements

,----[ Quote ]
| # Your system must have at least 512mb of available RAM. I'd suggest
| using at least 1GB of RAM in your computer, and preferably even more.
|                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| # Aero will not work on Windows Vista Basic edition. For best results,
| get the Ultimate version.
`----     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/understanding-windows-vista-aero-glass-requirements/

Acer: Vista Home Basic is a lemon

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is effectively smuggling through a price hike for Windows
| Vista - by making the entry-level version so poor that no-one will
| want to use it. So says Jim Wong, senior veep at Acer, the world's
| number four PC maker, who told UK hack Jon Honeyball: "The new
| [Vista] experience you hear of, if you get Basic, you won't feel
| it at all. There's no [Aero] graphics, no Media Center, no
| remote control."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/27/acer_slams_vista_home_basic/

Analyst slams Vista's 'backward' UI