[News] Savings with Free Software Are Claimed Huge

  • Subject: [News] Savings with Free Software Are Claimed Huge
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 14:40:40 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open Source Saved Me $100,000

,----[ Quote ]
| How is this possible? It’s possible because of all the good people out there
| who believe that open source should exist. What’s surprising to me is that
| many companies still continue to live in ignorance of these wonderful tools.
| I want to know how much money you have saved due to open source!
`----

http://chasesagum.com/open-source-saved-me-100000

Related:

Cost drives firms from UNIX to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Almost two thirds of Irish IT experts say the main motivation for migrating
| to the Linux operating system from UNIX for use in servers is cost, according
| to a recent survey from Novell’s Open Enterprise Summit in Dublin.
`----

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single9739

Linux provides solid uptime for automated hunting and fishing licenses

,----[ Quote ]
| Even with the challenges, Edwards is completely happy with Linux. "There's no
| question. It's absolutely critical for us to make money. If we're down,
| there's penalties we get assessed by the state governments. We absolutely
| have to be up all the time. For the most part, we make that. We haven't had
| any issues with open source."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/121606

Vendor Value: CIOs Rate the Leading Tech Providers

,----[ Quote ]
| This year's No. 1 vendor: open source software vendor Red Hat, which earned a
| remarkable 97 percent loyalty rating.
`----

http://www.cioinsight.com/article2/0%2c1540%2c2217095%2c00.asp

[Hill Air Force Base Making] Order out of chaos

,----[ Quote ]
| Hill is using Red Hat Enterprise Linux Version 5, which has received Common
| Operating Environment certification from the Defense Information Systems
| Agency, meeting DISA requirements for interoperability, performance and
| standards. It also received certification through the Common Criteria
| Evaluation and Validation Scheme, a cooperative effort of the United States,
| Canada and Europe that’s spearheaded by the National Institute of Standards
| and Technology. CCEVS is “sort of a Good Housekeeping Seal of approval” that
| a product is secure, Smith said.
|
| Microsoft Windows just doesn’t have a good reputation when it has to scale to
| an enterprise application that requires high levels of security, Smith said.
`----

http://www.gcn.com/print/26_16/44607-1.html

Linux makes inroads into Microsoft's domain

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://inhome.rediff.com/money/2007/aug/02linux.htm