[News] Big Changes Enter the 2.6.25 Linux Kernel

  • Subject: [News] Big Changes Enter the 2.6.25 Linux Kernel
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 14:38:17 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
x86 Architecture Merges in 2.6.25

,----[ Quote ]
| Ingo Molnar summarized his pull request for changes to the x86 architecture
| bound for mainline inclusion in 2.6.25 noting, "it's not a small merge, it
| consists of 908 commits from 96 individual arch/x86 developers (!)".
|                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/x86_Architecture_Merges_in_2.6.25

How many people are working on the OS X and Windows kernel? Also, KVM is
becoming an integral part of the O/S and improves further:

2.6.25 KVM Updates

,----[ Quote ]
| The Kernel-based Virtual Machine project, kvm, was started in mid-2006, and
| has been part of the Linux kernel since the 2.6.20 release in February of
| 2007.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/2.6.25_KVM_Updates

SCSI Targets

,----[ Quote ]
| "As you probably know there is a trend in enterprise computing towards
| networked storage. This is illustrated by the emergence during the past few
| years of standards like SRP (SCSI RDMA Protocol), iSCSI (Internet SCSI) and
| iSER (iSCSI Extensions for RDMA)," began Bart Van Assche, proposing that SCST
| be merged into the mainline kernel.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/SCSI_Targets

"One person in Helsinki can quickly write the core of a sophisticated operating
system."

                --John Warden, lead attorney at Microsoft

Related:

x86 Architecture Changes Merging in 2.6.25

,----[ Quote ]
| The final 2.6.24 Linux kernel is expected any day now, so the various
| subsystem maintainers have begun summarizing what changes are expected to be
| merged into the mainline kernel during the 2.6.25 merge window.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/x86_Architecture_Changes_Merging_in_2.6.25

[Linux kernel 2.6.24 released]

,----[ Quote ]
| The release is out there (both git trees and as tarballs/patches), and for
| the next week many kernel developers will be at (or flying into/out of)
| LCA in Melbourne, so let's hope it's a good one.
|
| Nothing earth-shattering happened since -rc8, although the new set of ACPI
| blacklist entries and some network driver updates makes the diffstat show
| that there was more than the random sprinkling of one-liners all over the
| tree.
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/1/24/407

A better ext4 filesystem for Linux

| A new Linux filesystem gets rid of the 256-petabyte limit, and adds a
| checksum feature for the journal. But developers want you to know that it's
| not yet ready for production sytems.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/012908-kernel.html

ext4 2.6.25 Merge Plans