[News] Linux Phones and Google Under Review; Motorola up 10%

  • Subject: [News] Linux Phones and Google Under Review; Motorola up 10%
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 08:50:20 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Google Android - a sneak preview

,----[ Quote ]
| The first devices will ship the second half of this year, so we can expect to
| see something announced at Barcelona.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/02/02/google_android_developers_view/

Some intersting news for Motorola, which does Linux phones also (after failing
with other platforms).

Motorola CEO Brown taking over direct control of handset division: report

,----[ Quote ]
| The company shares closed up 10% at $12.29.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/newstex/AFX-0013-22723516.htm

Related:

Google-powered mobile phones to make a February debut?

,----[ Quote ]
| First came the fervent and persistent rumours of a Google mobile phone.
|
| Then, just six short weeks ago, the search supremo (and
| just-about-everything-else-online supremo) announced there would not be
| a ‘Google phone' per se, but rather dozens of them from a raft of mobile
| manufacturers, and all built on an open Linux-based mobile phone platform
| named Android.
`----

http://apcmag.com/7726/google_powered_mobile_phones_to_make_a_february_debut

HTC to make first Android handset

,----[ Quote ]
| Taiwanese mobile-handset manufacturer HTC announced Tuesday that it will
| release its first Android-powered device into the European market in the
| second half of 2008.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/communications/0,39044192,62034201,00.htm

Google's Secret Weapon

,----[ Quote ]
| "[Google is] an example of a company that literally couldn't have existed in
| the same form pre-Linux or pre-open source," says Jim Zemlin, executive
| director of The Linux Foundation -- the organization that pays Linus Torvalds
| to work on the Linux kernel. "If they had to rely on Microsoft or Sun, not
| only would it have been too expensive, they could not have done the
| modifications necessary to create their services."
|
| The last point is confirmed by Google's Open Source Programs Manager Chris
| DiBona, who joined the company in August 2004 to oversee and coordinate its
| open source activities: "The thing about open source [is], it's kind of like
| it's yours. Considering that Google does an insane amount of software
| development, if we had to have some of the restrictions that heavily
| proprietary would present us, we couldn't develop at the speed that we do."
`----

http://redmondmag.com/features/article.asp?EditorialsID=2395

What Android means for Apple, MS, open source, enterprises

,----[ Quote ]
| The GPhone never happened, but Android is a much more significant development
|
| [...]
|
| A better approach, argues Dan Kohn, COO of the Linux Foundation, is to pick
| one set of standards that IT will support for calendaring, email
| applications, VPN and so on, and tell users they can use any mobile phone
| compatible with those standards.
|
| [...]
|
| What Android means for open source and Linux
| Linux already has a major presence on mobile phones, but the entrance of
| Google and the Open Handset Alliance — which has 34 member organisations
| worldwide — adds to the momentum.
|
| "We're a huge believer in diversity of options on mobile phones," Kohn of the
| Linux Foundation says. "Linux is already an important, growing presence
| there. I think having the Google software as an additional open source option
| is only going to accelerate that adoption."
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/netw/D22188C825F8528FCC257394007BE16D

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

Funambol CEO Fabrizio Capobianco: Linux Is Mobile's Future

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxInsider met with Capobianco to discuss his view on the role of open
| source in creating Mobile 2.0 as a voice and data carrier parallel to the
| Internet. The meeting occurred in the wake of Google's announcement earlier
| this month that it was negotiating with wireless carriers, handset makers,
| software developers and hardware providers to use an open source mobile
| platform, Android.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/60340.html

Mot demo's Linux-based DVB-H handheld

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola has announced a personal media player (PMP) and related broadcast
| transmission equipment based on the emerging wireless TV broadcast standard,
| DVB-H (digital video broadcast, handhelds). The Linux-based Mobile TV DH01
| handheld will enable the viewing of live, on-demand, and recorded programs,
| says Motorola.
`----

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS2037776072.html

MOTOMING 2 Has Arrived As Update By Motorola

,----[ Quote ]
| The first MOTOMING (Motorola A1200) was quite the nice handheld, because it
| ran on Linux and had a cool business card recognition program that would
| automatically insert all of that pertinent information into a phonebook
| contact.
`----

http://www.htlounge.net/articles/4812/1/MOTOMING-2-Has-Arrived-As-Update-By-Motorola

Motorola to introduce next-generation Linux-based Ming handsets in 2Q08

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola plans to launch its next-generation Linux-based "Ming" handsets in
| the second quarter of 2008, with the hand input intelligence handsets to be
| available in both high-end and entry-level versions, according to Bill Chen,
| general manager of of mobile device business at Motorola Taiwan. Previously,
| the Ming was released only in a high-end version.
`----

http://www.digitimes.com/telecom/a20071218PB202.html

Linux the fastest-growing smartphone OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile, in the world's largest mobile phone market (China), Linux already
| has a 30 percent share, CCID Consulting Company said in March.

Motorola sees Linux as its mobile mainstay

,----[ Quote ]
| Cell phones traditionally have used proprietary operating systems, fragmented
| even among one manufacturer's products. Motorola and other vendors have also
| opened up phone platforms through the Java and BREW software environments.
| Linux will help to further expand the community of developers for software,
| which is becoming an increasingly important part of mobile phones, said
| Christy Wyatt, vice president of ecosystem and market development at
| Motorola. The company has shipped about 9 million Linux handsets in the past
| four years and is now extending the OS down from smartphones to midrange
| handsets such as the Razr2.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070808/tc_infoworld/90862

Motorola wins $394 million in China Mobile deals

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6202156.html