[News] KDE Lead: Apple Doesn't Mesh with Open

  • Subject: [News] KDE Lead: Apple Doesn't Mesh with Open
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 17:38:44 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
KDE king Seigo talks life, free software and reinventing the desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple doesn't get the open source development model and has a very control
| oriented corporate culture and that doesn't mesh very well with an open,
| collaborative environment. Apple is getting better at it, or at least parts
| of Apple are getting it. I hope to look at it in five years and say this was
| growing pains for Apple to get where it is.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;885892575;pp;1

Related:

Apple failing to understand open source

,----[ Quote ]
| There is a cost for not being a good Open Source citizen and that
| cost is loss of goodwill in the community. That loss is more
| expensive in the long run than Apple realizes.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2007/03/apple_failing_to_understand_op.html

Mozilla exec calls Apple's Safari plan 'duopolistic'

,----[ Quote ]
| In the speech predicting how Apple would expand its market share, Jobs showed
| a slide with Safari dominating almost a quarter of the market--a market
| shared only with a single other browser, Internet Explorer.
|
| Lilly says he doesn't believe that this was an omission or simplification,
| but instead an indication that Jobs is hoping to steal people who use Firefox
| and other smaller browsers in order to run a "duopoly" with Redmond.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6191562.html

Researcher Blasts Apple for 'Negligent' Patching

,----[ Quote ]
| A researcher who went public last month with the first iPhone vulnerability
| says Apple's updating of the open-source components it uses in Mac OS X is
| inexcusable and negligent.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,135589-c,macos/article.html

Wozniak hates Open Sauce

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interview with eWeek, Woz said that there are always people who want
| things to be free and the open-source movement starts with those sort of
| people.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/09/25/wozniak-hates-open-sauce

Apple Releases Leopard Source Code

,----[ Quote ]
| Darwin 9.0 is a fully-conformant UNIX operating system that's built on Mach
| 3.0 and FreeBSD 5. It bundles over a hundred popular Open Source products,
| including bash, tcsh, ksh, and zsh, emacs, vim, and nano.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,139317-pg,1/article.html

Quicksilver goes Open Source

,----[ Quote ]