[News] Reviewer Likes the Eee PC, Linux Spreads Elsewhere in ASUS

  • Subject: [News] Reviewer Likes the Eee PC, Linux Spreads Elsewhere in ASUS
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 07:16:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Asus Eee Is a Tiny PC That Hits the Mark: Hands-on Blogger Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Unlike the Sony UX490 or the Nokia N810 I covered in my previous review, the
| Asus has a real, if diminutive, keyboard. Though the keys are small, it's
| pretty easy to hit the correct one without thinking—except for the right
| shift key, which is tiny and dangerously close to the up arrow. But a bit of
| practice has gotten me used to that. (There's also no CAPS LOCK light, which
| is occasionally irritating.) Still, it's easy to type on—I'm writing this
| review on it—in a way that the slide-out keypads on the Sony and Nokia are
| not.

Linux Assimilation

,----[ Quote ]
| Have you ever thought about all of the places Linux has been popping up
| lately? It's not just in your computer anymore. Linux is powering mobile
| phones, handheld gaming consoles, GPS systems, e-book readers, and more.
| Personally, I'm waiting for the Linux refrigerator, the Ubuntu frigidaire,
| which will be fast, cold, and powerful enough to churn out ice cubes like
| there's no tomorrow.

It seems focused on the new Linux-powered family of products from ASUS.

Asus Eee PC: Why is it SO Hot?

,----[ Quote ]
| Laptop magazine almost  blew its dongle over the Asus, breathlessly
| proclaiming it, “Pound for pound, the best value-priced notebook on the
| planet.” (What, not the entire solar system?) CNET took a more tempered
| approach, yet still deemed it a “near perfect choice for a highly portable
| second or backup laptop.”

ASUS preps $500 'iMac killer' Eee PC desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| The computer builder also says it will build a headless desktop, the E-DT,
| which will at first use a Celeron but then switch to the Shelton platform.
| Most details are unavailable, though the price should range between $200 and
| $300 and is being pushed towards the $200 mark. A third system known as the
| E-TV will combine a basic Eee PC platform with a 42-inch LCD TV and should
| cost about $200 more than a comparable TV that ships without such features.

Asus Says Eee PC is Most Successful Product Ever

,----[ Quote ]
| An interesting piece of news from Asus’s press conference is that the Eee PC
| is their “most successful product ever,” according to Engadget. This is
| potentially huge news for Linux on two levels.

Asustek Eee PC shipments beat expectations

,----[ Quote ]
| Asustek has shipped almost 350,000 units of the Eee PC in the quarter, ahead
| of the 300,000 estimated, according to Taiwan's DigiTimes.

2007's most important IT lesson is spelled with an Eee

,----[ Qote ]
| The Eee shows too just how out of date the 'is Linux ready for the desktop?'
| argument is. Yes it is. Anyone can pick up an Eee with its standard Linux
| distro - or with a number of freely available alternatives - and just use it.
| That alone revitalises the 'is this paid-for operating system value for
| money?' question.

Asustek ups Eee PC sales f'cast by two-thirds

,----[ Quote ]
| Asustek had said that it hoped to become the world's fifth-largest laptop PC
| vendor by 2010.

Asus Eee PC as 'hard to get your hands on as a Wii'

,----[ Quote ]
| Asus' elfin Eee PC is coming to Japan and it's going to get 16GB of
| solid-state storage, it has been claimed. Meanwhile, in the UK availability
| has reached Wii-like limits, according to insiders.

Microsoft's Big Problem in a Small Box

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista is a big operating system that demands monster graphics and dual-core
| processors. But what if the market pines for a whole lot less?
| [...]
| The mass move to mobile computing is a destabilizing force and harbinger of
| change. Microsoft's position would be better if Vista didn't demand so much
| when the market wants so little.

Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

,----[ Quote ]