Re: I'm a new italian penguin

____/ pinguin0 on Tuesday 19 February 2008 18:54 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz ha scritto:
>> More about reciprocity, collaboration. Like effective research.
> Yes, effective research in a collaborative way. It's a model that can
> work as long as the community is envolved in the entire process.
>
>>> Ah, Microsoft...
>>
>> More like egocentricity, control. Like fascism.
>>
> Not only fascism. Not only fascism but you know, we live in dangerous
> times... but that's not the question.
>

> Both sides are only one side of the same medal (selling software).
> I'm thinking about this: I can develop something using open sourced
> tools, add something closed to it then close it definitely.
> Or (better!!) I can make the entire process viceversa [not sure about
> the term. the process can have more ways...]
>

> In the end I'm satisfied. I can develop something then decide what to do
> with it. That's the power of open sourced tools.

The great power you may actually have is the nature of the GNU GPL. If you want
to build a content management system, for example, you can license it under
the GPL and then grab bits of interest from other existing projects, such as
CMSs. It's a mix and match approach. Development is mixed. It's /FAST/.
Improvements you make to other people's code will help them too. Watch
projects like PHP-Nuke. I actually think it's an Italian guy who wrote it
(maybe he moved to Canada, but I can't quite recall his biography after many
years of staying out of the codebase).

Charity: compensating for a broken system rather than actually fixing it
Tasks: 169 total,   1 running, 167 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie