Re: [News] Tux Droid Gets Good Review, Only Works in GNU/Linux

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sat, 16 Feb 2008 02:22:44 +0000
<1975399.eYhf6xSfbj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Tux Droid - Talking Linux Penguin
>
> ,----[ Quote]
> | Apparently, though, I am mistaken because that's exactly
> | what is sitting in front of me right now, and it's not
> | just an effigy of the much-loved penguin, but a wirelessly
> | connected moving speaking robot or sorts. More curiously,
> | unlike most every piece of hardware on the planet, rather
> | than having to hunt for hours on end to find a Linux driver,
> | you'll discover that that only Linux users can use the
> | Tux Droid as Windows drivers aren't available.
> `----
>
> http://www.trustedreviews.com/peripherals/review/2008/02/16/Tux-Droid-Talking-Linux-Penguin/p1

Ye gods.  Well, I'll admit it looks useful enough, if
one can stand the notion of a plastic penguin and a fish
dangling from a USB cable from one's desktop.  Definitely
on the "gadget" side of "useful gadget", though, even if
it does appear to have more brains than Tiger Electronics'
Furby, and is friendlier than Lyons Partnership's Barney
(if only because the latter's voice is so annoying when
he sings his trademarked song -- and oh yes, Barney is
associated with The Vole).

I would hope for different form factors; the most obvious
one is a standard box speaker+dongle kit but one might
get slightly creative and license Sanrio's "Hello Kitty"
character, Nick Jr's "Dora the Explorer", Disney's Mickey
Mouse, Warner Brother's Bugs Bunny, something from Kojima
Productions' Metaru Gia/Metal Gear, Takara's Transformers,
or some such.

(Personally, I think Hello Kitty even more ridiculous than
Tux; the latter is at least open source.  The others might
appeal to fans and/or nostalgia buffs.)

[rest snipped]

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx -- insert random trademark here
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.