[News] [Rival] Microsoft's Xbox Unit Getting the Blus [sic] After Defeat Against Sony

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Xbox Unit Getting the Blus [sic] After Defeat Against Sony
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:15:07 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The State of Gaming in January: Sony Pushes Ahead

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony took that as an opportunity to declare a victory and said in a
| statement “the PlayStation brand generated the most U.S. retail dollars in
| the industry with $486 million, 25% higher than Nintendo and 61% higher than
| Microsoft (MSFT).”
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/64984-the-state-of-gaming-in-january-sony-pushes-ahead?source=yahoo

Big ouch! That's the US market. Microsoft's turf is no more. Buh-bye to any
XBox momentum...

Blu-ray Xbox 360?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft does not seem overly concerned about the imminent demise of HD DVD
| as a high definition disc format.  Having backed HD DVD, especially with
| their Xbox 360 add on HD DVD player, why the sudden ‘laid back’ nature with
| the format war?  Could it be there is yet another revamp of the Xbox 360
| waiting in the wings? Perhaps with a Blu-ray drive.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16730/1092/

That's going to cost Microsoft a lot of money. Toshiba's list of supporters is
said to have included Microsoft and NEC Corp. ("short list of supporters
include Microsoft Corp" :
http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idINT34913420080219?rpc=44 ). HD
DVD = Microsoft in PR image disguise? Or the download service? It's known that
$hi*tel was among the supporters of HD DVD as well. They are always with
Microsoft. They also support the OOXML, according to the Asian press, never
mind the horrible quality and all the crime. Other 'supporters' were bribed by
Microsoft and had this support in their racketeering contract.

Recent:

iSuppli thinks PS3 will be the ultimate winner – by 2011

,----[ Quote ]
| Putting the PS3 in top spot by 2011, iSuppli says the Wii will be number
| two , with the Xbox 360 in the third spot – but 4 years is a long time in the
| videogame business and just because iSuppli predicts it doesn’t mean it will
| come true.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16658/1105/

Related:

PS3 production cost halved

,----[ Quote ]
| While the Playstation 3 cost Sony somewhere around $800 a console to build
| when it was launched in November 2006, Sony has told Business Week that the
| PS3 now costs about $400 to produce - which is similar to the RRP of the new
| 40GB SKU.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/14/ps3-production-cost-halved

StreamMyGame launches Linux player ; Play PC games on your PS3

,----[ Quote ]
| StreamMyGame.com announced today the release of its free Linux Player, an
| application that enables you to play any PC game via a PlayStation 3 running
| Linux.
`----

http://www.kdcstaffs.com/it/main_view.php?nNum=4721&page=&part=Real-Time

PS3 tops Wii in Japan for first time

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony Corp's (6758.T) PlayStation 3 outsold Nintendo Co Ltd's (7974.OS) Wii
| game console in Japan in November for the first time, raising the prospect
| that Sony might regain its dominance in the global videogame market.
`----

http://in.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idINIndia-30766820071130

PS3 overtakes Wii in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| Some 55,924 PS3s were purchased in the week ending 11 November, compared to
| 34,456 Wiis and just 5817 Xbox 360s. Clearly, the Halo 3 effect and
| Microsoft's price cut have done their work.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/11/16/japan_wii_ps3_sales/

Price cut boosts PlayStation 3 sales

,----[ Quote ]
| U.S. sales of the PlayStation 3 more than doubled in the weeks after the
| company slashed the video game console's price $100 and launched a low-end
| model, Sony Corp. CEO Howard Stringer told The Associated Press Wednesday.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071115/ap_on_hi_te/sony_playstation_sales

PS3 + Linux + Firefox = Office 2.0 computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony and a technology site are using a conference to show off a confluence of
| next-generation, monopoly-bypassing technology: a Sony Playstation 3
| videogame console running Linux and Firefox as a foundation for
| Web-based "Office 2.0" applications.
|
| IT|Redux, a site run by blogger and tech adviser Ismael Ghalimi, is showing
| off the system at the Office 2.0 Conference in San Francisco. IT|Redux is the
| show organizer.
`----

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9772115-1.html

PS3 available pre-installed with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| TerraSoft is now taking direct pre-orders with no delivery
| time guarantees for a Sony PS3 pre-installed with Linux,
| priced at $650.

Astrophysicist Replaces Supercomputer with Eight PlayStation 3s

,----[ Quote ]
| The interest in the PS3 really was for two main reasons," explains Khanna, an
| assistant professor at the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth who
| specializes in computational astrophysics. "One of those is that Sony did
| this remarkable thing of making the PS3 an open platform, so you can in fact
| run Linux on it and it doesn't control what you do."
`----

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news/2007/10/ps3_supercomputer

Linux petitioners want Sony to open up PS3's graphical innards

,----[ Quote ]
| Access is blocked by the Hypervisor chip so there is no chance of
| getting around it without Sony's approval. And, naturally, Sony
| doesn't want geeks producing 3D games under Linux and undermining
| its investment. It flogs the console in order to make mountains of
| wonga on the highly-priced games folk play on it.
|
| [...]
|
| So now there's a a petition online asking Sony to open up the RSX.
| It's here.

Linux 3D graphics access on PS3 found

,----[ Quote ]
| A method has been found to reach Linux 3D Graphics on the PS3. A number of
| hackers have clubbed together to release a draft kernel module for this along
| with a relevant Xorg driver.
`----

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=23190

The hunt for HV's FIFO/Push buffer...