[News] Google's Linux Among Monopoly-breaking Disruptions in Telecommunication

  • Subject: [News] Google's Linux Among Monopoly-breaking Disruptions in Telecommunication
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 07:58:30 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open season on carriers

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's iPhone, Google's Android OS platform and Nokia's Maps 2.0 GPS
| technology are striking a blow against cellular network operators' closed and
| lucrative business model. Where the operators have long been accustomed to
| dictating services, applications, device definitions and--most of
| all--prices, last week's Mobile World Congress here heard a cry for openness:
| for applications and services that can run independently of cellular
| operators on any mobile device.
`----

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206504465

How is the iPhone a part of this, unless it's unlocked (service) and opened for
3rd-party development? Android (Linux), on the other hand...

Related:

Google’s open access challenge

,----[ Quote ]
| Since their wireless oligopoly is their primary source of profits, a
| successful move by Google could also force AT&T and Verizon to compete in the
| wired space, freeing more bits on their current networks, which are now being
| hoarded for pay TV services.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1235

Google edges into wireless e-mail

,----[ Quote ]
| Last Thursday, Steve Ballmer, Microsoft's chief executive officer,
| told an analyst meeting that his company needed to push back
| against the emerging trend of free Web-based software.
`----                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070218.wgooog0218/BNStory/Technology/home
http://tinyurl.com/2q9j97

Linux powers $50 wireless mesh router

,----[ Quote ]
| Meraki was founded by CEO Sanjit Biswas, and is based in Mountain
| View, Calif. In February, it closed a $5 million funding round led
| by Google and Sequoia Capital.

What Android means for Apple, MS, open source, enterprises

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/netw/D22188C825F8528FCC257394007BE16D