Re: [News] It's Now (Almost) Confirmed: Microsoft Loses, Blu-Ray Wins

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:05:58 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> R.I.P. HD DVD: Toshiba reportedly ends the war
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Well, that's it. Toshiba appears to be pulling the plug on HD DVD. Toshiba
>| has not commented publicly, but a report on Japan's NHK says Toshiba has made
>| the decision to withdraw from next generation high-definition DVD production.
> `----
>
> http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9873848-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

HD-DVD lost because of perception.

It wasn't consumers either, it was the salespeople.  The second they heard
about Warner dropping HD-DVD, they started telling their customers not to
buy HD-DVD players because it was dead, effectively creating a
self-fulfilling prophesy.

HD-DVD players were cheaper than Blue-ray, had more features, cost less to
produce (both disks and players) and had equal quality to Blu-Ray.  By all
measures, it should have won the war, but it just goes to show how
perception can cause snowballing.