[News] Cringely's Theory on a Malicious Microsoft Manoeuvre

  • Subject: [News] Cringely's Theory on a Malicious Microsoft Manoeuvre
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:03:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Cartoon: http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20080215

Plan B: What if Microsoft doesn't really hope to buy Yahoo at all?

,----[ Quote ]
| But what if Microsoft wasn't serious about its offer? Well then things start
| to get REALLY interesting.
|
| Certainly Microsoft's offer for Yahoo has thrown that company and several
| others into a tizzy. Yahoo can't be getting much work done, that's for sure.
| And if you believe the press reports, AOL and News Corp have been dragged
| into the strategizing, too, and are subject to disruption. For Yahoo, as the
| primary target, overall efficiency in the company will have dropped instantly
| by 20 percent just because people will be talking at the watercooler rather
| than doing their work. And Yahoo wasn't a very efficient place to begin with.
| This alone has some value for Microsoft, where I will guarantee you the
| distraction is far less.
`----

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2008/pulpit_20080215_004309.html

Pay careful attention to the first reference below (it came just /days/ before
the bid). Cringley's (Mark's) message isn't so far-fetched.

Related:

Microsoft Calls Out To Yahoo Employee(s)

,----[ Quote ]
| A member of Microsoft's marketing staffing team has apparently sought out at
| least one Yahoo worker with a "we'd like to chat" message.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/01/31/microsoft-calls-out-to-yahoo-employees

Yahoo's Semel steps down as chairman

,----[ Quoet ]
| Terry Semel stepped down as Yahoo Inc.'s chairman Thursday, severing his ties
| with the slumping Internet icon 7 1/2 months after he resigned as chief
| executive under shareholder pressure.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080201/ap_on_hi_te/yahoo_semel

Yahoos won’t work for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| I work for Yahoo!, and I have had to explain to a few people recently why the
| Microsoft buyout talks are so troubling for Yahoos. They don’t seem to
| understand the severity of the impact that a Microsoft takeover will have.
|
| [...]
|
| Key reason #1 - Microsoft is anti open-source...
|
| [...]
|
| Key reason #2 - Microsoft is evil...
`----

http://www.techyouruniverse.com/technology/yahoos-wont-work-for-microsoft

Bradley Horowitz bids Yahoo farewell

,----[ Quote ]
| Bradley Horowitz, who headed up Yahoo's Advanced Technology division, bid
| adieu to the company in a blog entry posted on Valentine's Day.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9873183-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Week in review: Yahoo snubs Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]