[News] Interviews on Open Hardware Efforts

  • Subject: [News] Interviews on Open Hardware Efforts
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:43:16 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Group interview: a graphic view of the open hardware movement. Part 1:
motivations

,----[ Quote ]
| All hypothetically speaking of course—I would estimate the chance of a full
| Open Hardware release by ATI or nVidia as being similar to the chance of
| Microsoft publishing the Windows source under the GPL.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/interview_a_graphic_view_of_the_open_hardware_movement_part_1_motivations

Related:

Open source hardware comes out of closet

,----[ Quote ]
| EVER SINCE open-source software created a buzz, people have stroked chins,
| pondered and pontificated about the possibility of open-source hardware – and
| now it’s becoming a reality.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/open-source-hardware-coming

Do we need an open hardware license?

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, Hicks says that it's possible to use open source hardware designs with
| field-programmable gate arrays, "which are quite affordable," and points to
| OpenSPARC and the OPENCORES community of open hardware designers as examples
| of real-world usage of open hardware.
|
| Phipps says that he sees open hardware following in the footsteps of FOSS,
| though he says mainstreaming of open hardware "will take much longer ... to
| get a foothold."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118198

NVIDIA Plotting Open-Source Strategy?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to an AIB partner, NVIDIA is planning an open-source counterattack
| against ATI/AMD.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjI3NQ

Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427