[News] Burton Group Puppets Present in Microsoft Events, Lie About ODF

  • Subject: [News] Burton Group Puppets Present in Microsoft Events, Lie About ODF
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 01:13:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Punct Contrapunct

,----[ Quote ]
| Guy, excuse me, did you say "conflicts of interest"? Please explain. Or maybe
| when Peter O'Kelly comes back from speaking at Microsoft's Office Developers
| Conference he can explain it for us?
|
| [...]
|

| The Burton Group has denigrated the work and the members of the OASIS Open
| Document Format Technical Committee (of which I am Co-Chair) with published
| statements that have been shown to be false. The Burton Group owes us an
| apology and an immediate retraction.
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/02/punct-contrapunct.html

Shill "analysts". Microsoft made a monster out of the 'analysts' industry which
is corrupted by the Microsoft cash.

Related:

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/3000/PX03096.pdf

To Sir, with Love

,----[ Quote ]
| Dear Microsoft,
|
| For years, I have watched and admired you from afar, playing witness to your
| unshakable dominance of office productivity suites, wept when it seemed the
| world spoke coldly of Office 2007, and protested with great vehemence against
| your blisteringly unfair convictions as an evil monopolist. Why does the
| world misunderstand you? Why does it question your intentions?
|
| I hope that next month, when the International Organization for
| Standardization reviews the 3,500 technical issues raised regarding your
| proposed OOXML standard, that beautiful standard it so cruelly rejected last
| year, justice will prevail and you will go on to succeed in yet another
| proprietary vendor lock-in.
|
| Deepest affections,
|
| The Burton Group
|
| Ok, so the recent report issued by Burton Group, a research firm specializing
| network and applications infrastructure technologies, doesn't come right out
| and profess its love to the Redmond-based software company, but it might as
| well.
|
| The report reads more like a love letter than a critical study aimed at
| taking a hard look at whether the Open Document Format realistically stands a
| chance against Microsoft's everpresent Office Open XML file format. Had it
| done that, it could've been incredibly interesting.
|
| Instead, the lengthy report, when boiled down, not only disses the long-term
| relevance of the Open Document Format, but then goes and blames Sun
| Microsystems for the format's downfall (if and when a downfall is to occur).
`----

http://blogs.eweek.com/desktop_confidential/content/file_formats/to_sir_with_love.html

OOXML: the propaganda war has begun

,----[ Quote ]
| The arguments put forward by the Burton group do not hold much water - OOXML
| is not anti-competitive, it will become more widespread in use (due to the
| widespread use of Microsoft Office), ODF is driven by anti-Microsoft
| sentiment more than any technical merit, etc. Sun Microsystems comes in for
| quite a bit of bashing.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16153/1090/

Report fuels OpenOffice vs. OOXML debate

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenOffice.org has dismissed an analyst report from Burton Group which claims
| that Microsoft's Office Open XML document format is preferable to the
| OpenDocument Format.
|
| [...]
|
| Burton Group also attracted controversy in August 2007 when it warned
| businesses against the use of Google Apps, another free software competitor
| to Microsoft Office.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6226607.html

Open XML trumps ODF in document format fight, consulting firm says

,----[ Quote ]
| Midvale, Utah-based Burton Group said that the report was neither
| commissioned nor paid for by Microsoft. However, Burton analyst Peter
| O'Kelly, one of the report's co-authors, is scheduled to make a presentation
| at an Open XML press briefing that Microsoft plans to hold in the Seattle
| area on Wednesday. Also speaking will be multiple Microsoft executives
| involved in the Open XML standards-ratification effort.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9057235

[Response to Burton Group's Microsoft FUD:]
Google denies its Apps just a Microsoft Office add-on

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1697987130&rid=-50