[News] Oil Services Giant Uses GNU/Linux Clusters

  • Subject: [News] Oil Services Giant Uses GNU/Linux Clusters
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 01:09:48 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Panasas Parallel Storage Boosts Seismic Application Performance by 5X for Oil
Services Giant Fugro N.V.

,----[ Quote ]
| This deployment of Panasas parallel storage has improved the performance of
| Fugro's Linux clusters, allowing the data-intensive applications to run
| faster, and leading to faster discovery, development and ultimate delivery of
| oil and gas to the global market.
|
| "Currently, we're using Panasas storage for a survey project of the entire
| Gulf of Mexico and it requires the collection and manipulation of a
| tremendous amount of data," said Matthew Grey, Unix/Linux systems manager at
| Fugro.
`----

http://www.foxbusiness.com/article/panasas-parallel-storage-boosts-seismic-application-performance-5x-oil_475571_1.html
http://tinyurl.com/35pp2v

Oil giants powered by GNU/Linux, funded by a so-called 'charity' of Bill Gates
(see below).

Related:

Linux helps to squeeze the last drop out of oilfields

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/nov/15/news.opensource

Linux helps to squeeze the last drop out of oilfields

,----[ Quote ]
| So a year ago the company embarked on a project to link five of its Linux
| clusters - four in Norway and one in Houston, Texas - into a multi-cluster
| grid using Platform Computing's LSF workload management software.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/nov/15/news.opensource

Spying the Gates Foundation: Diversified Holdings Stay Ahead of Market Weakness

,----[ Quote ]
| The foundation made moves in other sectors during Q3, as well, adding shares
| in Caterpillar and Canadian National Railway, while maintaining
| stakes in energy giants Exxon Mobil and BP.
`----       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://biz.yahoo.com/indie/071126/1004_id.html?.v=1

Dark cloud over good works of Gates Found

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gatesx07jan07,0,6827615.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Gates Foundation Revokes Pledge to Review Portfolio

,----[ Quote ]
| ...the Gates Foundation took down their public statement on this
| and replaced it with a significantly altered version which seems to
| say that investing responsibly would just be too complex for them
| and that they need to focus on their core mission: 'There are
| dozens of factors that could be considered, almost all of which
| are outside the foundation's areas of expertise. The issues
| involved are quite complex...
`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/12/1756212&from=rss

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation- Truth Revealed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttq0IdULfjg

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation- Truth Revealed Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVlnqnMHQ1c

Big oil taking political beating ahead of earnings

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/080104/oil_politics.html?.v=2