[News] (Software) Patent Trolling, Patent Madness, Patent Reform

  • Subject: [News] (Software) Patent Trolling, Patent Madness, Patent Reform
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:01:03 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Patent Payday

,----[ Quote ]
| But while Cannata and patent investors like Rembrandt claim to be protecting
| the rights of inventors, their detractors believe they are simply
| well-financed patent trolls--a derisive term used to describe companies with
| no operations other than suing big business over patents. Concern over the
| practice has reached Washington, D.C., where both the courts and lawmakers
| have been moving to protect corporate America from patent-related litigation.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/11/patents-legal-rembrandt-biz-cz_nv_0212patent.html
http://tinyurl.com/2qjh9z

Patent Failure

,----[ Quote ]
| Princeton University Press
| March 2008
|
| In the last several years, business leaders, policymakers, and inventors have
| complained to the media and to Congress that today’s patent system stifles
| innovation instead of fostering it. But like the infamous patent on the
| peanut butter and jelly sandwich, much of the cited evidence about the patent
| system is pure anecdote—making realistic policy formation difficult. Is the
| patent system fundamentally broken, or can it be fixed with a few modest
| reforms? Moving beyond rhetoric, Patent Failure provides the first
| authoritative and comprehensive look at the economic performance of patents
| in forty years. James Bessen and Michael Meurer ask whether patents work well
| as property rights, and, if not, what institutional and legal reforms are
| necessary to make the patent system more effective.
`----

http://truthhappens.redhatmagazine.com/2008/02/11/patent-failure/

Patent reform coming down to the wire

,----[ Quote ]
| It may make little difference in the long run, but you might learn a lot
| about how the next President feels about technology if they are forced to
| vote on patent reform.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1999

Related and recent:

My Dumb Software Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| The first patent was provisionally filed in 2000 and has been "in process"
| for the last 8 years. Yes, I said 8 years. Many think that Software Patents
| are stupid. I conceptually agree with this statement. Having spent what seems
| like millions of hours constructing these, baby sitting them, defending them;
| it is really all wasted time and effort, at least in a conceptual sense.
| There is no way for a software engineer or system architect to have any idea
| what exists out there to either copy or avoid (whatever the motivation).
`----

http://falseprecision.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/02/my-dumb-softwar.html

Related:

Big businesses boast of patent benefits, for small businesses

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/99155/big-businesses-boast-of-patent-benefits-for-small-businesses.html