[News] [SOT] UK ISPs Could Become Network Cops for RIAA/MPAA

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] UK ISPs Could Become Network Cops for RIAA/MPAA
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 14:58:08 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Illegal downloaders 'face UK ban'

,----[ Quote ]
| The Internet Service Providers Association said data protection laws would
| prevent providers from looking at the content of information sent over their
| networks.

How would they classify (or misclassify)? Who would pay the monitoring charges
(not the RIAA but the costumer)? What about encryption and people passing CDs
around? Would this actually be effective or just expensive, like DRM? Seems
like the latter... The RIAA recently proposed installing RIAA-ware (like
Vista) on all PCs. Links below.

Here is a better solution:

A security thought: AT&T Copyright Fighting

,----[ Quote ]
| All that is necessary is that the MPAA or their contractor automatically
| spiders for torrents. When it finds torrents, it connects to each torrent
| with manipulated clients. The client would first transfer enough content to
| verify copyright, and then attempt to map the participants in the Torrent.
|
| Now the MPAA has a "map" of the participants, a graph of all clients of a
| particular stream. Simply send this as an automated message to the ISP
| saying "This current graph is bad, block it". All the ISP has to do is put in
| a set of short lived (10 minute) router ACLs which block all pairs that cross
| its network, killing all traffic for that torrent on the ISP's network. By
| continuing to spider the Torrent, the MPAA can find new users as they are
| added and dropped, updating the map to the ISP in near-real-time.
`----

http://nweaver.blogspot.com/2008/01/security-thought-at-copyright-fighting.html

No monitoring, less chance of false positives. Linux ISOs live on. Dubya talks
censo... err... 'filtering'...

Bush administration touts rise in piracy cases, convictions

,----[ Quote ]
| She said the Bush administration is still hoping that Congress will enact a
| set of sweeping intellectual-property law changes recommended last year. It
| would like politicians to criminalize "attempting" to infringe copyrights,
| permit wiretaps for piracy investigations, and increase penalties for
| intellectual property violations, among other things.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9869492-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Recent:

RIAA boss: Move copyright filtering from ISPs to users’ PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| The issue of encryption "would have to be faced," Sherman admitted after
| talking about the wonders of filtering. "One could have a filter on the end
| user's computer that would actually eliminate any benefit from encryption
| because if you want to hear [the music], you would need to decrypt it, and at
| that point the filter would work."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080207-riaa-boss-spyware-could-solve-the-encryption-problem.html

PRO-IP Act is dangerous and unnecessary, say industry groups

,----[ Quote ]
| Last month, the Copyright Office held a closed-door session on the issue of
| statutory damages. A small affair, the roundtable was a response to the
| PRO-IP Act introduced in Congress late last year. In the wake of the meeting,
| eight public interest and industry groups have published a white paper (PDF)
| arguing against any changes to the "one work" rule and the increases in
| statutory damages that would result from such changes.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080205-white-paper-pro-ip-acts-damage-increases-are-dangerous.html

Related:

Microsoft rebrands PlaysForSure to Certified For Windows Vista, confuses world

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's PlaysForSure DRM just took another step closer to the grave with
| the help of some rebranding.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/12/microsoft-rebrands-playsforsure-to-certified-for-windows-vista/

Microsoft Tells Apple To Stop Complaining About DRM

http://www.podcastingnews.com/2007/04/13/microsoft-apple-drm/

Golden Rant : Microsoft DRM's gone too far

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft appears to have hit the wrong button on its critical
| Windows XP download service late last month, pretty well forcing
| every XP user to upgrade to Windows Media Player (WiMP) 11 if
| they (like me and many others) have the automatic download/install
| option enabled for critical updates.
`----

http://securityblog.itproportal.com/?p=712

The Longest Suicide Note in History

,----[ Quote ]
| Gutmann: The genie's out of the bottle before the operating system has even
| been released! But that doesn't mean Vista users in particular - and
| the computer community at large - won't end up paying for Microsoft's
| DRM folly. At the risk of repeating myself repeating myself, yet
| another reason to move to Linux.

http://blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/tux-love/2007/01/the_longest_suicide_note_in_hi.html

DRM in Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]