Re: [News] Survey Says Microsoft Software Patent Deal Harmed SUSE Adoption, Helped Rival Linuxes

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 12 February 2008 08:00 : \____

>> Survey finds Ubuntu is the fastest-growing Linux distribution
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| SUSE Linux Enterprise Server and Red Hat Enterprise Linux started out as
>>| equals in Alfresco's user base. No more. Ubuntu has clearly won over our
>>| customer base at SUSE's expense. My money is on Novell's deal with
>>| Microsoft as the culprit. Indeed, you can watch the deployments taper off
>>| in the data from the month that deal was announced.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9868873-16.html
>>

> We've discussed this at length here before, but really, we knew what the
> result would be.  Novell shot both Purdey barrels into their collective
> feet.
>
> The odd thing is that they were amazingly well placed to become huge in
> the emerging Linux world, but seemed happy to give it up in order to get
> some immediate funding from Microsoft.

Some say it was an inside job. A decent management would not be fooled by this,
especially when Novell was in the lead (desktop) with a fine product far ahead
of Vista (soon to be released... at the time). Watch Microsoft/Yahoo and
Xen/Citrix again. I receives an E-mail last night from a guy who is in
OpenSUSE. He thinks that someone pulled this stunt to get promoted. A Novell
manager was hired by Microsoft shortly after the deal and Hovsepian received
bonuses.

One day we'll know the real story. It's a post mortem at the moment, but Novell
gives away too many clues, thinking wishfully that we forgot the past.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 21978 x 4 = 21978 backwards