Re: Trend Micro Earned Itself as Boycott by Suing Free Software

In article
<b82142ae-afe1-47d1-8ace-125f8c397275@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 webster.knight@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > And their you have it.
> > The Linux loonies are on the boycott patrol again.
> Let's get rational, Moshe.  What's loony about it?  Do you defend
> yourself when you are attacked?  Are you loony, too?

Well, in general, for a boycott to be more than a waste of time, the
people boycotting have to be people who would otherwise be customers of
the company being boycotted.  That's why Stallman's boycott of
Caterpillar bulldozers isn't getting anywhere, for example.  (No, I did
not make that up--he's boycotting Caterpillar because the Israel
military used Caterpillar bulldozers to knock down houses of suspected
Palestinian terrorists).

> Attacking someone with sick american patents deserves retaliation and
> a good defense.  Ask EV1 about it.  Ask SCO about it.  You can take
> the communities code and use it, change it and redistribute it, all
> free.  It good for you and them and mankind.  Why would TM want to
> stop that with something they clearly did not invent?  They are
> getting what they deserve.

I haven't read the patent, so have no idea if it is bogus or not.  But I
do note that both Symantec and McAfee settled rather than fight it, and
Fortinet fought it and lost.  Generally (and contrary to popular
belief), big companies do not just roll over and license patents when
any random person comes along and threatens them.  The generally fight
tooth and nail to invalidate the patent.

That said, I sure wouldn't mind seeing Trend Micro taken down a peg or
two.  In the past, they've done things that I'd consider to be dipping
their pen in other's inkwells, so I don't like them.

--
--Tim Smith