[News] The Ownership Problem of Proprietary Software

  • Subject: [News] The Ownership Problem of Proprietary Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 00:30:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
It’s MY Computer

,----[ Quote ]
| Dear Software Vendor: It’s MY computer.  If I want to uninstall your
| software, please don't claim ownership of any part of it.  If I have chosen
| to sever any relationship with you, it is behoven upon you to also sever the
| relationship by permitting a full and complete uninstall of the product, not
| to leave behind sneaky little markers in the hope you’ll catch me out at some
| time in the future.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16566/1054/

On the other extreme end:

XML People: Tim B on TimBL

,----[ Quote ]
| Like RMS's, TimBL's greatest contribution is not actually technical: it is
| ethical.
|
| Had he not put his code into the public domain - after briefly flirting with
| the idea of licensing it under the GNU GPL - the Web would not have become
| the greatest invention of the late 20th and early 21st centuries. It is for
| his inspired altruism that we salute Sir Tim - not for anything so trivial as
| a markup language.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/02/xml-people-tim-b-on-timbl.html

Related:

Open Source: The Only Software One Really Owns

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates once called the open source community a bunch of
| communists, thinking the open source ideal was against anyone
| owning the fruits of their programming labors. However, he has
| missed the real point of choosing open source. It's about not
| being held to ransom and having the freedom to switch suppliers
| with impunity -- freedom to modify, extend and supplement your
| technology as you see fit.

Irish music industry goes open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The purpose of open source labels is to allow artists to retain
| copyright over their material rather than sign it over to a major
| label in a record deal.
|
| SonikDub does not claim copyright nor does it take money from the
| sale or use of music, and the band is not obliged to sign a
| contract to provide the company with exclusive content.
`----

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single8049

Who "owns" Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| If you ask anyone in the Linux community the answer is simple: The
| community owns Linux. A collective of minds, users, and enthusiasts
| all working (in one way or another) to continue to push the Linux
| operating system as far forward as possible.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=17

The Birth of Restrictive Computing, Thanks Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea of owning software isn't what it used to be. In the past, you'd
| have to run out and buy the boxed version of the software that you
| were looking for or download and register a shareware application off
| of the Internet in order to gain possession of that program.
|
| [...]
|
| Consumers just don't like having restrictions on things that they pay
| good money for, and that's why DRM is so stinkin' annoying. I don't
| want to pay to download a song that I can't make full use of, and the
| same thing applies with an OS...
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2387&Itemid=449
http://tinyurl.com/yyfwvx

Forbidding Vistas: Windows licensing disserves the user

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://wendy.seltzer.org/blog/archives/2006/10/19/forbidding_vistas_windows_licensing_disserves_the_user.html