Re: [News] [Rival] BusinessWeek on Microsoft's Risk of BAN in Europe

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> The EU's New Heat on Microsoft
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | On top of fines and new inquiries, Microsoft is in danger of EU
> | governments effectively banning its software to create documents
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Compatibility Advantage
> |
> | The new European investigations come as Microsoft finds itself in danger
> | of seeing EU governments effectively ban its software to create
> | documents. The European Commission and its member states have been
> | mulling a mandate that all government documents be created in the Open
> | Document Format (ODF), an open source competitor to the proprietary
> | format used in Microsoft Word.
> `----
>
> http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2008
tc20080227_967982.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

Tax payers should not be paying for proprietory formats.
We have come a long way when technology is ubiquitous enough
to pick and choose open formats so that everyone benefits
from creating documents, communicating with documents and
creating all kinds of accessories to manage publicly available
standard documents.