Re: [News] Many Companies Lobby to Kill Software Patents in the US

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 14:40:19 -0500, Troy Kirkland wrote:

> "Mark Kent" <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Robin T Cox <nomail@xxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Yes; because at the end of the day you can't put knowledge in a box and
>>> stop it getting out.
>>>

>> The current system has become like fire insurance in the days before the
>> fire brigade - a protection racket.
>
> You can thank your lintard buddy IBM for helping create the mess.
>

>> How long before the chaps from Microsoft or their offspring like Acacia
>> turn up and say something like "You are infringing on about 822 of our
>
> Things are looking bleak for IBM. Unlike Microsoft who has never sued
> companies over patents, IBM is the true patent leach.
>

> http://www.informationweek.com/management/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193401388
>
> --- "IBM (NYSE: IBM) has filed two lawsuits against Amazon (NSDQ: AMZN).com
> Inc., alleging that the Internet retailing powerhouse knowingly violated IBM
> patents governing the presentation of online advertising and other
> e-commerce techniques that are "at the core" of Amazon's multibillion-dollar
> business."

IBM used to own more patents than any other company.
I am not sure if this is still true.

I believe IBM holds the patent for the concept of the cursor wrapping to
the next line when it reaches the end of the current line.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I remember something about that.

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: