Re: [News] Many Companies Lobby to Kill Software Patents in the US

Robin T Cox <nomail@xxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 17:33:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Ending software patents: Has the time come?
>
> Yes; because at the end of the day you can't put knowledge in a box and
> stop it getting out.

The current system has become like fire insurance in the days before the
fire brigade - a protection racket.

How long before the chaps from Microsoft or their offspring like Acacia
turn up and say something like "You are infringing on about 822 of our
patents, give or take.  We'll settle now for £2mio this year, or we can
fight out each claim in the courts, and we'll be claiming for about £20
mio, so we think this is a really good deal.  We have the papers here
for  you to sign now...".