[News] [Rival] Microsoft Tries to Hide Past Abuses, Corruptions Behind Closes Doors

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Tries to Hide Past Abuses, Corruptions Behind Closes Doors
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:50:17 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Debate on OOXML standard continues behind closed doors

,----[ Quote ]
| Delegates at the meeting must decide to accept each of ECMA's
| recommendations, reject them or make some other change instead.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/022708-debate-on-ooxml-standard-continues.html?page=2

What if they want to raise a new one? Oops! They only had limited time to
review 6,000+ pages and new comments cannot be added, no matter how urgent
they may be.

Microsoft is believed to have 'assaulted' Lisa at ISO by spamming her with
Munchkins (for Fast Track). The whole thing is a colossal disaster. Microsoft
is /buying/ ISO, even bullying 'unwanted' people out of it. Luckily, the EC
investigates this, so more huge fine could be on their way.

"We should dedicate a cross-group team to come up with ways to leverage Windows
technically more."

               --Jim Allchin, Vista escapee

Related:

Microsoft’s secretive standards orgs in Former Yugoslavia

,----[ Quote ]
| Croatian laws keep its national body’s votes secret, so the only way for the
| Croatian public to find out how the process went would be if a board member
| illegally leaked information out of CSI. This is, of course, unlikely to
| happen. And the Serbian national standardization body is not officially
| formed, so those two votes were easy for Microsoft, and probably not only
| ones around the globe.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/092407-ooxml.html?page=1

Microsoft Tech Ed 2007: OpenXML

,----[ Quote ]
| He was asked "Why did Microsoft push OOXML through the "Fast Track" process
| instead of the standard ISO process? Wouldn't they get less resistance than
| faced now?"
|
| His response was very frank: "Office is a USD$10 billion revenue generator
| for the company. When ODF was made an ISO standard, Microsoft had to react
| quickly as certain governments have procurement policies which prefer ISO
| standards. Ecma and OASIS are 'international standards', but ISO is the
| international 'Gold Standard'. Microsoft therefore had to rush this standard
| through. Its a simple matter of commercial interests!"
`----            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2007/09/microsoft-tech-.html

Microsoft corruption in Uruguay:

http://picandocodigo.linuxuruguay.org/index.php/2007/08/29/uruguay-vota-si-al-ooxml/

Evidence of Microsoft Influencing OOXML Votes in Nordic States

,----[ Quote ]
| "This is how a standard is bought," Bosson wrote later. "I left the meeting
| in protest - pissed off."
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Evidence_of_Microsoft_Influencing_OOXML_Votes_in_Nordic_States/1188335569

http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=147&a=686119

Microsoft Memo to Partners in Sweden Surfaces: Vote Yes for OOXML - Updated

,----[ Quote ]
| He acknowledges that the rules might need to be changed.

The OOXML Problem

,----[ Quote ]
| Another thing, by introducing a "new fancy" document format, MS can hold a
| tighter grip round existing customers and get more on the false pretence that
| they've "opened up".
`----

http://phun-ky.net/2007/08/the-ooxml-problem

Rejecting OOXML