[News] [Rival] Microsoft 'Open' Charade Much Worse Than Useless

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft 'Open' Charade Much Worse Than Useless
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:46:31 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft’s Open Premise: The License Compatibility

,----[ Quote ]
| So, a software created under the Microsoft Open Premise may not be licensed
| under a free license, if it violates, or may violate a Microsoft patent. In
| other words, one should excercise extra care when FOSS-licensing such a
| software. MOP is only partially compatible with the free licenses, and it
| could be safer to regard it as generally incompatible with them.
`----

http://www.gatchev.info/blog/?p=602

The systems keeps making itself deprecated:

US patent backlog, employee attrition grow at alarming rates

,----[ Quote ]
| Even with its increased hiring estimates of 1,200 patent examiners each year
| for the next 5 years, the US Patent and Trademark Office patent application
| backlog is expected to increase to over 1.3 million at the end of fiscal year
| 2011 the Government Accounting Office reported today.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/25467

It's like distributing pistols to children in the neighbourhood in order to
improve security. As in, let kids defend themselves with guns. It didn't work
out too well in the US (gun crime) and the USPTO is going down the same route
(patent Armageddon). Are the diplomats sane? Are they just bribed?

Related:

Are Patents Headed For Extinction?

,----[ Quote ]
| Successful free enterprise requires an effective system of property ownership
| rights. Economists like Hernando de Soto believe that such rights are the
| underpinning of capitalism and explain how for decades America's strong
| patent system has fostered economic growth and innovation in the face of
| intensifying international competition. Although many factory jobs have moved
| overseas, knowledge workers have enjoyed improved living standards in the
| United States.
|
| That picture will change for the worse if the Patent Reform Act of 2007
| (S.1145), now being considered by the Senate, is enacted in its present form.
| This bill, together with two recent patent-unfriendly Supreme Court rulings,
| represents one of the worst assaults on intellectual property protection in
| the 218-year history of our patent system.
|
| [...]
|
| Joe Kiani is the founder and CEO of Irvine, Calif.-based Masimo.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/22/patent-laws-kiani-oped-cx_jki_0225patent.html?partner=yahootix

My Dumb Software Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| The first patent was provisionally filed in 2000 and has been "in process"
| for the last 8 years. Yes, I said 8 years. Many think that Software Patents
| are stupid. I conceptually agree with this statement. Having spent what seems
| like millions of hours constructing these, baby sitting them, defending them;
| it is really all wasted time and effort, at least in a conceptual sense.
| There is no way for a software engineer or system architect to have any idea
| what exists out there to either copy or avoid (whatever the motivation).
`----

http://falseprecision.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/02/my-dumb-softwar.html

Big businesses boast of patent benefits, for small businesses

,----[ Quote ]
| A report published by an EU task force on intellectual property claims
| that small businesses benefit from a patent system, despite lacking
| almost any participation by the small business community.
|
| Instead, the report, titled IPR (intellectual property rights) for
| competitiveness and innovation, was written up almost entirely by
| large corporations and the patent industry.
|
| [...]
|
| The report does note objections from the likes of patentfrei.de and
| Sun Microsystems, which were recorded at some length in the report.
| But this does not appear to have impacted the conclusion of the
| report in any way
|
| [...]
|
| Jean-Pierre Laisne, of ObjectWeb, an open source software community,
| said that he found the report useless: participants were told that
| all their contributions would be recorded but at the end only
| those of Business Software Alliance and Microsoft were used.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/99155/big-businesses-boast-of-patent-benefits-for-small-businesses.html

When Patents Threaten Science

,----[ Quote ]