[News] Big Media Comes Under Scrutiny, Hardball Games

  • Subject: [News] Big Media Comes Under Scrutiny, Hardball Games
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:49:08 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
File ‘sharing’ or ‘stealing’?

,----[ Quote ]
| In essence, Sigfrid is saying that something in unlimited supply can't be
| stolen. His position is a variation on a theme advanced by Mike Masnick of
| Techdirt.com, among others: that the entertainment industry's aggressive
| copyright-enforcement efforts spring from an outdated, analog-era notion of
| scarcity. Under this view, copyright holders are helped, not harmed, by file
| sharing and other online distribution pipelines; they just haven't adapted
| their business models to take advantage of the new opportunities. Supporters
| of this view include musicians, authors and filmmakers who say that that file
| sharing helped bring the exposure they needed to sell their works.
`----

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oew-healey18feb18,0,5092348.story

Lawyers For ‘Imposter’ P2P Software Threaten Open-Source Team

,----[ Quote ]
| A company trying to pass itself off as vendors of the open-source
| file-sharing software Shareaza, has set the legal dogs on the real Shareaza
| forum. Discordia Ltd, who earlier turned Bearshare and iMesh into pay
| services, demanded action after a member of the real Shareaza forum suggested
| a DOS attack on the site.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/shareaza-imposter-lawyers-threaten-forum-080225/

Related:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5jkZFIwmc-8

Lessig: Required Reading: the next 10 years

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet governments continue to push ahead with this idiot idea -- both Britain
| and Japan for example are considering extending existing terms. Why?
|
| The answer is a kind of corruption of the political process. Or better,
| a "corruption" of the political process. I don't mean corruption in the
| simple sense of bribery. I mean "corruption" in the sense that the
| system is so queered by the influence of money that it can't even get
| an issue as simple and clear as term extension right.
`----

http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003800.shtml#003800

RIAA, MPAA urge pro-copyright vows from presidential candidates

,----[ Quote ]
| One question, for instance, asks: "How would you promote the progress of
| science and creativity, as enumerated in the U.S. Constitution, by upholding
| and strengthening copyright law and preventing its diminishment?"
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9821141-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Is Sarko Uxorious?

,----[ Quote ]
| What this neglects to take into account is the fact that falling into the
| public domain is a gain for the public - and hence the actual moment when it
| becomes part of the "national pop heritage" - and that the gain vastly
| outweighs any minimal effect it has on ageing rockers' royalties.
| Unfortunately, with this action, as with others (including the "three strikes
| and you're out" approach to fighting filesharing), Sarkozy shows himself to
| be an old man - however young his new wife may be.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/02/is-sarko-uxorious.html

MEPs debate tightening up lobbying rules

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://euobserver.com/9/25526