Re: [News] Apple Goes Litigious Against Open Source and For DRM

____/ Rick on Tuesday 26 February 2008 23:46 : \____

> On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:01:45 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> iTunes legal silences Hymn
>
> Does Hymn use Linux???
>

>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Apple has fired a cease and desist order against the developers behind
>> the | open-source Hymn Project.
>> |
>> | Hymn develops software that strips Apple's FairPlay digital rights
>> management | (DRM) technology from user's iTunes purchases, allowing
>> music fans to play | their music on devices other than those from Apple.
>> `----
>
> I play music I DLed from the itunes Music Store on my Palm TX.
>

>> http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?
> newsid=20538&pagtype=allchandate
>>
>> Shame on Apple.
>
> Shame on Apple for enforcing the DRM limitations that the is a condition
> of the contacts with the record labels?

Rick, I agree to the extent that they fulfil a contract, but the way they
handle this has become a pattern. Have you seen what they recently did to an
Apple Web site that gave an earlyglimpse at Apple products (they gagged it)?
There are other such examples. In this case, it's quite likely that Apple
assists DRM rather than fights it. What's with that open (PR) letter from
Jobs?

How many labels have /NOT/ dropped DRM yet?

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "In hell, treason is the work of angels"
         run-level 2  2008-01-24 14:06                   last=