[News] [Rival] Microsoft Goes Headhunting, Faces Rejections

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Goes Headhunting, Faces Rejections
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:52:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Wealthy Software Titan Seeks Open-Minded Valley Natives

,----[ Quote ]
| This is one personal ad that will be hard to fill:  Steve Ballmer & Co. are
| trying to woo "prominent" Silicon Valley denizens to be on a new slate of
| directors to replace the current Yahoo board, Kara Swisher reports. The
| problem is that Microsoft isn't exactly beloved in Silicon Valley.
|
| Microsoft has until March 13 to nominate a new board slate to replace Jerry
| Yang & Co. if the software giant wants to go hostile and take its unsolicited
| bid directly to Yahoo shareholders.
`----

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/article/3281/Wealthy-Software-Titan-Seeks-Open-Minded-Valley-Natives

Yahoo sued again for saying 'no' to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this month, another shareholder, the Wayne County Employees'
| Retirement Systems, also sued the Yahoo board for the way it has handled the
| Microsoft board.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/yahoo-faces-another-lawsuit-rejecting/story.aspx?guid=%7BC076BD5B%2D3EE2%2D47F1%2D8088%2D5FEC613C015A%7D&siteid=yhoof

Is Microsoft bribing these people? If so, what with/how much? To quote Sam
Hiser from the other day:

"Microsoft: still a bunch of gangsters."

They don't even try to hide this. Time to break the company apart and put some
executives in prison?

Related and recent:

Microsoft's IBM Moment

,----[ Quote ]
| News Commentary: Microsoft can only lose if it enters into a proxy fight
| against Yahoo.
|
| Supposedly, Microsoft is ready to make a hardball maneuver to replace Yahoo's
| board of directors. A proxy fight would be a highly aggressive move from a
| company that for years sought to remake its tarnished public image. Antitrust
| cases on two continents portrayed Microsoft as a bully, which is a label a
| Yahoo hostile takeover may just revive.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/corporate/microsofts_ibm_moment.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Why Microsoft Should Fret

,----[ Quote ]
| But what if at stake in the battle isn't just Microsoft's position in selling
| ads, but the very survival of its core software business? Microsoft would
| never admit that so much is on the line.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120277476716860601.html?mod=yahoo_hs&ru=yahoo

Microsoft to take case to Yahoo shareholders: report

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsoft-take-case-yahoo-shareholders/story.aspx?guid=%7B7F963245%2D5B26%2D4A77%2D8D18%2D4D2122A9D4AE%7D&siteid=yhoof
http://tinyurl.com/3dpl6n

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is threatening to launch a boardroom coup at Yahoo! within six
|              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| weeks if the internet search engine fails to accept its $45 billion (£23
| billion) hostile takeover proposal or start serious merger talks, The Times
| has learned.
`----

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article3300964.ece?EMC-Bltn=LOXCF1

Options Before Microsoft: Upping Bid; Tender Offer; Hostile Takeover; Pressure
Tactics

,----[ Quote ]
| Hostile board overthrow: This would be the most contentious, and Microsoft
| has indicated its willingness to go through with this if need be: it could
| seek to oust Yahoo's board at its next election; it would have until March 13
| to nominate a new slate of directors. Yahoo has taken "poison pill"
| provisions, and Microsoft have to oust the board to get past these
| provisions.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/paidcontent/080209/1_319741_id.html?.v=1

Microsoft Replies To Yahoo Rejection

,----[ Quote ]
| The response to Yahoo's "no thanks" to a $44.6 billion acquisition held the
| not-so-subtle threat of a more aggressive takeover action by Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| "The Yahoo response does not change our belief in the strategic and financial
| merits of our proposal. As we have said previously, Microsoft reserves the
| right to pursue all necessary steps to ensure that Yahoo!’s shareholders are
| provided with the opportunity to realize the value inherent in our proposal,"
| Microsoft said in their statement.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/02/11/microsoft-replies-to-yahoo-rejection

Microsoft rejects Yahoo! rejection

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Ballmer still wants to swallow Jerry Yang's company.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/02/11/microsoft_still_wants_yahoo/

Microsoft's Last Big Beat: Internet Domination or Death

,----[ Quote ]
| What can $44.6B USD mean? Well, for Microsoft (MSFT) it may mean the cost of
| survival.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/63876-microsoft-s-last-big-beat-internet-domination-or-death?source=yahoo

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp said on Monday it may borrow money for the first time in its
| history to fund a portion of its $44.6 billion unsolicited offer for Yahoo
| Inc.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205

Related:

Will Microsoft Survive the Next 10 Years?

,----[ Quote ]
| I am not really an expert in this but when I read all the negative
| headlines and articles I ask myself if Microsoft really will survive
| the next 10 years.
|
| [...]
|
| I am pretty sure that the Open Source Community, the new Ubuntu,
| Google and of course Apple are those companies that are ready for
| our century and they will get more and more people that know what
| they really want.
`----

http://websquirrel.blogspot.com/2007/03/will-microsoft-survive-next-10-years.html

P. Graham: Microsoft is Dead