Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 22 February 2008 19:20 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:05:16 -0800 (PST)
> <02584918-9341-4abe-bb8d-be47664b4d75@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> <Quote>
>> [Death of HD-DVD was predictable.] Here's why HD-DVD's end should not
>> have been a surprise, what lessons can be learned from its death, and
>> what its demise means for Microsoft.
>>
>> [HD-DVD--Bluray format war, Microsoft vs Sony...]] In the new HD video
>> market, Microsoft again wanted to push its Windows Media codecs while
>> Sony wanted to establish its blue-violet laser technology.
>
> [massive snip for brevity]
>
>> http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/02/21/lessons-from-the-death-of-hd-dvd/
>>

> I'm not sure about the "lethal" part.  It's not like
> they're dead yet, though I'll admit I wonder how long this
> sort of nonsense can continue.
>
> However, the imminent demise of Usenet has been repeatedly
> predicted, for example, and it's yet to happen (though I
> can't say its state is all that good).
>
> On a more relevant (and less happy) note: the Year of
> the Linux Desktop has also been proudly proclaimed for
> many years -- and has yet to happen, though as far as
> *my* desktops are concerned it's the default option,
> and presumably for a number of others posting here.
>
> And Microsoft continues to be hugely profitable.
>
> So we'll see.

Ghost,

One theme that I see recurring in your posts is that Microsoft has deep
pockets. It does not.

Steve Ballmer has deep pockets. Bill Gates has deep pockets. Many ex-Softies
are millionaires. But they won't donate their assets and saving to Microsoft
if it operated at a loss and buys its own stock.

SEC filings are tricky. Novell claims that it has wealth, but at the same time
it's documented that it had trouble with the bank and the Finance Heads over
their admitted financial misconduct (cooking the book). You know what they say
about this? "Everyone is doing it". Welcome to the US of A. Shades of Worldcom
and Enron...

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Wintendo O/S: which virus do fancy today?
Tasks: 128 total,   1 running, 127 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie