Re: Roy Schestowitz - Is he simply stupid or a liar?

> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 22 February 2008 19:20 : \____
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:05:16 -0800 (PST)
>> <02584918-9341-4abe-bb8d-be47664b4d75@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> <Quote>
>>> [Death of HD-DVD was predictable.] Here's why HD-DVD's end should not
>>> have been a surprise, what lessons can be learned from its death, and
>>> what its demise means for Microsoft.
>>>
>>> [HD-DVD--Bluray format war, Microsoft vs Sony...]] In the new HD video
>>> market, Microsoft again wanted to push its Windows Media codecs while
>>> Sony wanted to establish its blue-violet laser technology.
>>
>> [massive snip for brevity]
>>
>>> http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/02/21/lessons-from-the-death-of-hd-dvd/
>>>

>> I'm not sure about the "lethal" part.  It's not like
>> they're dead yet, though I'll admit I wonder how long this
>> sort of nonsense can continue.
>>
>> However, the imminent demise of Usenet has been repeatedly
>> predicted, for example, and it's yet to happen (though I
>> can't say its state is all that good).
>>
>> On a more relevant (and less happy) note: the Year of
>> the Linux Desktop has also been proudly proclaimed for
>> many years -- and has yet to happen, though as far as
>> *my* desktops are concerned it's the default option,
>> and presumably for a number of others posting here.
>>
>> And Microsoft continues to be hugely profitable.
>>
>> So we'll see.
>
> Ghost,
>
> One theme that I see recurring in your posts is that Microsoft has deep
> pockets. It does not.

Don't let facts get in the way of your FUD.

Microsoft
Total Cash (mrq): $19.09B

Google
Total Cash (mrq): $14.22B

Redhat
Total Cash (mrq): $1.04B

IBM
Total Cash (mrq): $16.15B

Hewlett Packard
Total Cash (mrq): $11.45B

> Steve Ballmer has deep pockets. Bill Gates has deep pockets. Many
> ex-Softies
> are millionaires. But they won't donate their assets and saving to
> Microsoft
> if it operated at a loss and buys its own stock.

Microsoft operate at a loss? You really are scraping the bottom of the
barrel here.

Microsoft makes a PROFT of over $13 BILLION dollars a year. That's over a
BILLION dollars in profit each and every month.