Re: ODF and binary data--why do you ignore it, Roy?

In article <slrnfruumu.867.postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 Bob Hauck <postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:29:23 -0800, Tim Smith
> <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > But Sun considers standards a strategic weapon, and made sure that ODF
> > would not include anything that StarOffice didn't need, and so we are
> > doomed to at least two standards. :-(
>
> And Microsoft doesn't?  Consider standards to be strategic weapons I
> maen.  Sure they do.  And that's part of the problem.  Everybody is

So?  Last I checked, Microsoft wasn't in charge of ODF standardization,
so their view on standards doesn't excuse Sun's limiting ODF.

> At least ODF has multiple existing implementations, imperfect though
> they may be.  Sun doesn't control KOffice or Abiword.  So however bad
> Sun is, they seem to be better for users than Microsoft.

Last I checked, Microsoft doesn't control Apple, Corel, Thinkfree,
QuickOffice, Dataviz, and the various others that have implement OOXML.

(Well, except on that chart on Roy's site--it shows Microsoft
controlling Apple...)

--
--Tim Smith