Re: ODF and binary data--why do you ignore it, Roy?

> In article <UYidnUFlnevJhCPanZ2dnUVZ_gidnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  alt <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Why should the document format support all of Microsoft's (undocumented)
>> legacy crap? Shouldn't that be the job of the application?
>
> The application needs to be able to save information about that legacy
> "crap", hence there is a need for some way to do that in the document
> format.

Where's the 'need' for that?  You want to have access to all features of
those old documents?  Keep an old copy of the proprietary operating
system and proprietary Word processor around.

What's that you say?  You're worried about those items eventually being
unusable?  Scan or convert the legacy document to PDF, already an ISO
standard, and readable by open-source software.

Other than MS Office automation, I see no need to stick with Microsoft
document formats.  And for MS Office automation, well, you should have
thought of those lice before you got into bed with Microsoft.

--
Until we're educating every kid in a fantastic way, until every inner city is
cleaned up, there is no shortage of things to do.