[News] [Rival] Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Further Break Compatibility

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Further Break Compatibility
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 14:21:09 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft publishes list of compatibility problems with Vista Service Pack 1

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has published a list of programs that may "experience a loss of
| functionality", if they run at all, once Service Pack 1 has been installed on
| Windows Vista.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/103815/from/rss09

Service Pack: a step back or a step forward? Or one forward and two backwards?

Microsoft has been very quiet about Vista sales for almost a month. Having
stuffed the channel, the same is also true for Office 2007 (Mary Jo Foley
admitted they had stuffed the channel for vanity).

Recent:

Vista marketing chief to bid Microsoft adieu

,----[ Quote ]
| Michael Sievert, Corporate Vice President for Windows Product Marketing, is
| moving on, according to multiple sources of mine.
|
| It’s hard to make the case that Sievert, who was responsible for the
| worldwide introduction of Windows Vista, isn’t being pushed for the
| less-than-enthusiastic public perception of Microsoft’s latest version of
| Windows. Even though Microsoft has moved 100-million-plus copies of Vista,
| many consumers and businesses still consider the new release buggy, sluggish
| and incompatible with existing software and drivers.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1158

Hands off Vista Service Pack

,----[ Quote ]
| It's annoying that despite the Service Pack, Vista still doesn't correctly
| handle backup archives which were generated with its predecessor Windows XP.
| Neither is there a noticeable improvement to notebook battery life. When
| tested, one notebook only worked half as long as with Windows XP. Eight
| further notebooks didn't run differently either in the c't test. There even
| were some entirely new issues, for example with virus scanners. Norton
| Antivirus produces error messages, and Bitdefender Antivirus can't be
| installed any more at al
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/103646/from/rss09

Related:

Vista SP1 won't sacrifice security for compatibility

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista SP1 will include a significant number of "proactive" security changes,
| DeVaan said. These do not represent fixes for specific vulnerabilities,
| instead they represent Microsoft's efforts to head off potential threats.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14224&Itemid=1054

Vista SP1 Released and Delayed Simultaneously

,----[ Quote ]
| Continuing their apparent efforts to take the steam out of Windows Vista,
| Microsoft today announced that the long awaited Windows Vista Service Pack 1
| is being released, but not to Vista users. That’s right, SP1 is now RTM
| (Released to Manufacturing), but won’t be released via any means to end users
| or even system administrators for at least another month and a half.
`----

http://itsvista.com/2008/02/vista-sp1-released-and-delayed-simultaneously/

Vista's Upgrade: Not Worth the Wait

,----[ Quote ]
| Although Microsoft has reported solid sales of Vista, a lot of copies went to
| corporations that tried the program for a few weeks, then downgraded to XP.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_05/b4069000450184.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Beta

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows lives and dies by its service packs. I can't recall the last initial
| release of any Windows product that didn't have at least some problems.
|
| [...]
|
| Still, given that Vista is essentially a rewrite of XP meant to enhance
|                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| security (and, of course, media features), I'm not surprised to see Microsoft
| take this route for the service pack.

Re: Configurating updates: stage 3 of 3 stuck in endless reboot loop

,----[ Quote ]
| My install of the SP1 RC Refesh has gone wrong.
|
| Everytime I start the computer it says:
|
| Configurating updates: stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete
|
| And then reboots, and reboots, and reboots ... I had it rebooting for over an
| hour before I stopped the madness.
| All the safe modes does the same, so how do I uninstall the installer,
| without being able to log in?
`----

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/showpost.aspx?postid=2848906&siteid=17

Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista not for pirates

,----[ Quote ]
| Although, unlike previous Windows versions, Vista is not available as an
| activation-free version, a number of more or less effective methods were
| quickly found to run Vista without activation. However, this is soon to end.
| According to Microsoft, Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista closes two
| vulnerabilities which previously enabled operation of Vista without a
| license.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/100006/from/rss09

Vista SP1 a Performance Dud