Re: Wizpy user review

stumpyuk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Thought I would post this as there doesn't seem to be a "customer"
> review anywhere on the net.
>
> I have just bought a Wizpy and have to say that I am very disappointed
> with some features.    The physical device itself is sturdy and
> robust.   The quality of the display is excellent, and the sound
> playback is also very good quality.
> Right that is the good stuff out of the way.   Now for the downside:
>
> The menu buttons are counter-intuitive (the volume controls are the up
> and down buttons but the graphical volume slider bar is horizontal.
> The device doesn't support playlists which, IMHO, is  unforgivable in
> such a comparatively expensive device.
>
> Much has been made of the ability of Wizpy owners to boot any PC into
> Linux (Turbolinux in this case) from the device.   This procedure is
> very simple and has worked first time on several of my PCs.   However
> both experienced Linux users and more importantly Linux newbies are
> bound to be disappointed with the Linux experience.  There are a very
> limited number of applications.   Additional content is only available
> via the Wizpyclub website, and at the moment there are no add-ons
> beyond what is already installed.   Experienced users will find that
> you cannot download and install applications manually, if you do
> manage to do this you will find that they have been flushed from the
> system at reboot.
>
> The dumbest situation is with the Turbolinux Ripper and encoder.
> This allows you to rip music from CDs to the Wizpy player.
> Unbelievably the lame and ogg encoders aren't actually installed on
> the system and there is no way to manually install them.

Probably because micoshaft corporation told them to do that?

>  This means
> that you can't use the installed Turbolinux distro to rip your music
> to the player. I have gone to the support site and filled in the on-
> line form to get support regarding this issue, but an error in the
> coding of the page means there is no way to send your support request!
>
> Also the Wizpy is advertised as coming with online storage, yet
> repeated attempts to sign up for this service have failed.
>
> TBH I can't see people rushing out to convert to Linux based on the
> limited distro on offer here (which was apparently a big part of the
> thinking behind the device).   I can't see too many linux gurus
> spending the serious amount of loot to buy one of these and trying to
> mod it.
>
> As a portable MP3/movie player it is great, but you can buy as equally
> good quality devices for about a third of the price of the wizpy.   As
> an introduction to Linux it is piss-poor, for experienced users it is
> worse than that.
>
> Stumpyuk

Would't be surprised. The guys behind it are micoshaft sponsored
and are probably on their way to hell for accepting money
from Micoshaft Corporation despite using GPL code
written by open source developers.
The Ausus EEE is selling for same price in some places (2Gb)
(if you can get it). Or you might want to spend the $100 extra
and get a 4G EEE and put your own unencumbered Linux
such as Ubuntu which is known to run on it.