Re: [News] Geauga County Public Library Goes for Open Source and Linux

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 08 January 2008 15:06 : \____

>> Geauga County Public Library Chooses Koha
>>
>> ,----[  ]
>>| "LibLime is making the move to open-source software a more secure
>>| proposition," explains Deborah O'Connor, Director of Geauga County Public
>>| Library. "With a firm such as Liblime to provide technical support, moving
>>| to open source will not require the library to have programmers in its
>>| Information Technology Department."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/10299.html
>>
>> They use Ubuntu Linux, IIRC. Linux is destines to become very popular in
>> libraries where Windows gaming is not a concern. Security, privacy,
>> multi-user functions/capabilities and other such things put Linux at a
>> position of considerable advantage.
>>

> There are huge opportunities opening up for people to integrate linux
> systems.  This is another of many, many, examples.  I remain somewhat
> surprised that Microsoft's so wedded to Windows that it cannot see what
> huge possibilities are building up on the ashes of its once-all-powerful
> monopoly.

Speaking of Microsoft, it uses the 'charity' funds to keep some libraries tied
to Windows. This is also the case of the 'New France' from what I've heard.
There's too much manipulation and I continue to insist that the Gates
Foundation is in many way a proxy assisting Microsoft. It's effective, so
Gates 'retires' early.

Roy S. Schestowitz    The Holy Bible: http://www.gtk.org/documentation.html
Mem:    515500k total,   444184k used,    71316k free,     3072k buffers