Re: Gates on OLPC

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Tuesday 08 January 2008 15:28 : \____

> <Quote>
> Gates: OLPC hasn't done that well.

So why does Microsoft try so desperately (many resources allocated) to have
that bloated Windows run on it?

Might *this* have to do with limited success?

"Thailand's new junta-appointed Education Minister has cancelled
Thailand's participation in the One Laptop Per Child project and
scrapped a plan to give a 2B1 laptop to every primary school student..."

http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/06/11/28/026232.shtml

Reason?

,----[ Quote ]
| About the meeting with Microsoft, he mentioned that he got a request from
|           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| M.R. Pridiyathorn Devakula, deputy prime minister. [Note: It seems
| likely that the early meeting with Microsoft was about going to see
| the operation of British e-government.) Dr.Sitthichai said he will
| use his own money and contact British government directly instead.
|
| For the OLPC project, he asserted that he does not oppose or intend
| cancel the project. This project was initiated during Thaksin's
| government with no financial support plan. Therefore, the government
| does not have budget to support the project. Kamthorn had a chance
| to clarify and talk about the project for a little while. The
| minister said he will bring that up for the next meeting with
| OLPC working group which Dr.Djitt Laowattana serves as a board
| director.
`----

http://www.iosn.net/asean-3/countries/thailand/news/thai-open-sourcers-meet-ict-minister

Billy is being a real gentleman about it too...

Poor Kids' Laptop Cranks Up

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.redherring.com/article.aspx?a=17302

> Emerging markets are growing for
> PCs, people are doing cheap PCs.

And Microsoft is willing to bribe to ensure those PCs run Windows.

Lessons from Africa: How to Kill Your Own FUD

,----[ Quote ]
| So, even as Microsoft claims superior quality over Linux, they act as if they
| don't even buy their own FUD. If they really believed that Windows was
| superior to Linux, they wouldn't have to bribe people with “marketing help”
| to get them to choose Windows.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-11-09-030-26-OP-MD-MS

[Mandriva CEO:] An open letter to Steve Ballmer

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow! I’m impressed, Steve! What have you done for these guys to change their
| mind like this? It’s pretty clear to me, and it will be clear to everyone.
| How do you call what you just did Steve, in the place where you live? In my
| place, they give it various names, I’m sure you know them.
|
| Hey Steve, how do you feel looking at yourself in the mirror in the morning?
|
| Of course, I will keep fighting this one and the next one, and the next one.
| You have the money, the power, and maybe we have a different sense of ethics
| you and I, but I believe that hard work, good technology and ethics can win
| too.
`----

http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/an-open-letter-to-steve-ballmer/

Why not manipulate and throw in a wrench?

One Laptop Per Child - Production Delays Caused By Microsoft, Intel?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/blade/2007/04/28/one-laptop-per-child-production-delays-caused-by-microsoft-intel/

> We've always believed in cheap PCs.

*LMAO*

"This in itself might slow down replacement cycles and life time
shortening until we find true MIPS eating applications - a priority not
only Intel should subscribe to."

        --Joachim Kempin, senior vice president for OEM sales, Microsoft

> If the hardware were free, we'd be happy.

Easy for Billy to say... as the Register once said, it's like giving used car
wheels to a land without cars. And all they want is addiction, like a drug
dealer.

Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
|
|   "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
|   people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
|   As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
|   They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
|   collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html

It's long-term investment. You know, like that oil firm investment body called
the Gates Foundation, which also shapes public image and reduces Bill's tax
expenses so that other citizens need to pay more tax.

Bill Gates Pours $390 Million Into Mexican Brewer

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates has invested $390 million dollars in Mexican brewer Femsa through
| his Cascade Investment Fund, according to the brewer.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2007/12/21/bill-gates-pours-390-into-mexican-brewer

Spying the Gates Foundation: Diversified Holdings Stay Ahead of Market Weakness

,----[ Quote ]
| The foundation made moves in other sectors during Q3, as well, adding shares
| in Caterpillar and Canadian National Railway, while maintaining stakes in
| energy giants Exxon Mobil and BP.
`----           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://biz.yahoo.com/indie/071126/1004_id.html?.v=1

Energy joint venture names CEO

,----[ Quote ]
| Cascade manages the personal investments of Microsoft Corp. Chairman Bill
| Gates.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/071126/1555578.html?.v=1

EnergyCo Names John Loyack CEO

,----[ Quote ]
| Unregulated energy company EnergyCo, a joint venture of electric utility PNM
| Resources and Microsoft Corp. founder Bill Gates' private investment vehicle
| Cascade Investment LLC, on Monday named John R. Loyack chief executive.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071126/energyco_ceo.html?.v=2

Warren Buffett's double standard

,----[ Quote ]
| Warren Buffett climbed back up Capitol Hill Wednesday to urge Congress to ...
| do nothing.
|
| Normally that would be a good thing, but in this case it means that the
| estate tax will return in 2011.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/warren-buffetts-double-standard-taxes/story.aspx?guid=%7B3DC6CF6F%2D8DD4%2D4767%2DAC6B%2D3CBE984A5FD7%7D&siteid=yhoof
http://tinyurl.com/2lyu4v

Dark cloud over good works of Gates Found

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gatesx07jan07,0,6827615.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Gates Foundation Revokes Pledge to Review Portfolio

,----[ Quote ]
| ...the Gates Foundation took down their public statement on this
| and replaced it with a significantly altered version which seems to
| say that investing responsibly would just be too complex for them
| and that they need to focus on their core mission: 'There are
| dozens of factors that could be considered, almost all of which
| are outside the foundation's areas of expertise. The issues
| involved are quite complex...
`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/12/1756212&from=rss

Gates sold 100,000 Univision shares-SEC filing

,----[ Quote ]
| The foundation said it sold its remaining stake in Univision,
| which is in the process of being acquired by private investors,
| for an average of $35.34 per share in open market transactions.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsmlreuters.com:20070105:MTFH49951_2007-01-05_22-11-13_N05298823&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/yll88p

Bill Gates lends cash to buy newspapers

$350 million to MediaNews

,----[ Quote ]
| Gates involvement has been very behind the scenes. In fact many of
| those involved in the deal didn'teven know he was one of the investors.
| It was carried out through the Gates Foundation, the world's largest
| philanthropy outfit.

Gates Foundation reports AIG, Covidien stakes-filing

,----[ Quote ]
| The overall value of the foundation's portfolio increased to $9.12 billion
| from $6.64 billion as of June 30.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKN1423378020071114?rpc=44

Bill Gates fund reports 12.8 pct PlanetOut stake

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates' investment fund Cascade Investment LLC reported in a regulatory
| filing on Friday that its holds a 12.8 percent stake in the common stock of
| online media company PlanetOut Inc.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKN1331033020070713?rpc=44

More on Troy Wolverton, the Street, and Apple Scandal

,----[ Quote ]
| MediaNews did buy the Mercury News with a loan from Bill Gates' foundation,
| and is in the process of paying back that loan by publishing information
| without much journalistic or technical integrity.
|
| Specifically, I wrote “One might think that the San Jose Mercury News, being
| located in Apple's backyard, would tend to trumpet the company's success. One
| would be wrong... Apple's corporate proximity to San Jose is trumped by the
| Mercury News’ need to publish low cost, highly sensational news to make
| enough money to pay back Bill Gates for the favor of his humanitarian loan.”
`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q3.07/082663E0-6FD8-4F1D-909F-1BC72833AD02.html

What happened to the guts?

,----[ Quote ]
| Of one thing I am fairly certain. Microsoft all but eliminated
| mainstream software competition. As a result, Microsoft became
| the primary source of advertising revenue for mainstream publications.
| You don't bite the hand that feeds you. So instead of publishing
| issues calling for a worldwide boycott of Vista because it focuses
| more on what you can't do than what you can do, you see special
| editions praising Vista as the greatest advancement in computing
| since Windows 95. Granted we all know that Windows 95 was a dog
| from day one, but by the 90s, the mainstream press had already
| become rampant with Microsoft sycophants and they pushed Windows
| 95 like it was the second coming.
|
| [...]
|
| In short, I'd love to see a mainstream publication become an
| advocate for the consumer once again.
|
| As noted above, there are exceptions, including Linux Journal,
| most other FOSS-centered publications and even The Register.
| But we're the little guys.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000173

http://slated.org/bbc_microsoft_bias

Beeb slammed for 'fawning' to Bill Gates

,----[ Quote ]
| BBC viewers have flooded the corporation with complaints over how it
| covered the launch of Microsoft Vista earlier this week.
|
| In one cringingly servile interview worthy of Uriah Heep, the
| Beeb's news presenter Hugh Edwards even thanked Gates at the
| end of it, presumably in appreciation at being allowed to give
| the Vole vast coverage for free.
|
| In other TV news items presenters excitedly explained how Vistac
| ould be obtained and installed - details courtesy of the BBC's
| website.
|
| But British viewers, currently forced to pay a £131.50 licence
| fee to maintain the BBC's "impartiality", were less than impressed.
|
| Scores got in touch to complain that so much was Auntie up Bill's
| bum that you could barely see her corset.

PC World Editor Resigns When Ordered Not to Criticize Advertisers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/05/03/1810239&from=rss

> We're about the software.

Not anymore. You're in the business of just making money in any way possible,
even if it's reselling the same content again and again. Adverts, XBox
(hardware), Zune (media), Internet...

Microsoft Looks Within to Design and Test Chips

,----[ Quote ]
| For more than two decades, Microsoft's software and
| Intel's processors were so wedded that the pairingc
| ame to be known as Wintel. But as that computing era
| wanes, Microsoft is turning to a new source of chip
| design: its own labs.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/19/technology/19soft.html?_r=1&ref=technology&oref=slogin
http://tinyurl.com/ydtq7k

China's Changhong seeks $136 mln stake in Huayi

,----[ Quote ]
| Sichuan Changhong Electric Co, a Chinese electrical appliance maker partly
| owned by Microsoft Corp, said it will bid for a controlling stake in Huayi
| Compressor Co 000404.SZ in a deal that could be worth about 1 billion yuan
| ($136 million).
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idINPEK15028120071224?rpc=44

The importance of Zune to Microsoft Corp.

,----[ Quote ]
| Zune is Microsoft's attempt to integrate hardware and software *and*
| to become the channel for (music) content -- thus creating an integratedp
| lay far-different from its Window's OS business model where Microsoft
| mainly provides OS & important application software while hardware an
| content for users is provided by other companies.
`----

http://www.thebizofcoding.com/2006/09/the_importance_of_zune_to_micr.html

How will Windows survive the death of the PC?

,----[ Quote ]
| For Microsoft, the answer is critical, since Windows is still not a
| natural fit for a mobile platform that has no PC heritage.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/16/samsung_runcom_help_microsoft/

Microsoft to join municipal Wi-Fi fray

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is jumping into the municipal wireless space with a deal
| to provide local content and ads for MetroFi's free wireless
| Internet service in Portland, Ore., by the end of this year,
| the companies are expected to announce on Wednesday.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6135679.html

Gates to generate your electricity

,----[ Quote ]
| His personal investment vehicle -- a nice drive if you can afford
| it -- Cascade Investments is today expected to partner with New
| Mexico-based PNM Resources on electricity generation and trading.

Microsoft takes it to the bank

,----[ Quote ]
| Is the world ready for Microsoft Banking? Banks are traditionally
| very conservative with their software and hardware choices, and
| most still rely on expensive mainframes with multiple levels of
| failure protection. However, banks are also making a huge push
| to expand into other services, such as investment planning, and
| all these new services require new software. If they are
| successful, Microsoft will be laughing all the way to the, er, bank.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2006/11/14/5956

Microsoft Refuses To Acknowledge Major Wireless Headset Flaws

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.2old2play.com/News/Microsoft_Refuses_To_Acknowledge_Major_Wireless_Headset_Flaws

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pottsc/129800718/in/set-72057594107882520/

> We're in literally over 100 countries with special versions of
> Windows, including Starter Edition.

Microsoft selling hobbled software to poor countries

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=983

> OLPC is nowhere compared to where
> we are on this thing.

What thing? The briberies? Political manipulation?

Intel: doing the dirty on OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel’s agreement with the OLPC Foundation included a ‘non disparagement’
| clause, under which Intel and One Laptop promised not to criticize each
| other, according to Nicholas Negroponte in the latest article in the Wall
| Street Journal.
|
| Still Intel tactics have violated that repeatedly to kill OLPC efforts in
| Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan, India, China and Intel is also still trying to pull
| those tactics in Mexico, Brazil.
| This is simply disgracefull of Intel, scandalous.
|
| But Negroponte has signed an agreement saying that he is not allowed to
| criticize Intel, so he is not allowed to talk about these shameless tactics
| even though Intel is the one violating the agreement.
|
| So only independant voices on the Internet can get those messages of truth
| out about Intels tactics.
|
| In Nigeria, Intel came and donated 3000 laptops to counter OLPC efforts, then
| sells 17 thousand Classmates to Nigeria at a loss.
|
| Then Microsoft corrupted Nigerian officials with 400 thousand dollars to
| install Windows XP on those instead of Mandriva Linux.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/14124

Gates is a weasel. He goes to countries that adopt Linux and throws some
charity (subtle form of selective bribery) to protect the monopoly. If
Microsoft paid, that would be a smoking gun, so the charity is used as a
proxy. Here's some related example:

Gates promotes PC training in Colombia

,----[ Quote ]
| The government and Microsoft also two signed agreements Monday
| stressing Uribe's strong commitment to Microsoft products at a
| time other countries in the region are promoting the non-proprietary
| Linux operating system.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070319/ap_on_hi_te/colombia_bill_gates

During the antitrust trial in the late 90s, Gates is said to have used the
charity to game the courts.

> If that form factor, some people want to use
> that, we'll make sure Windows is available on that.

Who will pay for extra batteries?

"Fat operating systems spend most of their energy supporting their own fat."
        --Nicholas Negroponte, MIT Media Lab, rediff.com, Apr 2006

> </Quote>
>
> http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9843783-56.html

Not surprisingly, this comes from Paul Allen's trashy media company. They help
sell Vista and they give columns to Microsoft lobbyists.

Beware the Windows box spewage (more commonly known as "spam")
 16:00:01 up 29 days,  4:48,  4 users,  load average: 0.11, 0.60, 1.03