[News] Photos of Some New Linux-based Mobile Internet Devices

  • Subject: [News] Photos of Some New Linux-based Mobile Internet Devices
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 14:56:59 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Revealed: Skype on Linux-based Intel mobile internet gadgets

,----[ Quote ]
| These handhelds are intended to run Linux, the version being developed by the
| Intel-backed Mobile Internet Linux Platform. Skype's targeting the MILP OS,
| and it said it expects to get the software ready for release sometime during
| the first half of 2008.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/08/ces_skype_on_mid/

Related:

CES - Lenovo, Toshiba reveal new UMPCs at Intel booth

,----[ Quote ]
| The Lenovo device runs a Linux OS from Chinese developer Red Flag Software
| and boasts a 4.8-inch touch screen, an onboard camera and other features. It
| also has what appears to be a phone dialing pad on the right side, but there
| were no Lenovo personnel around at Intel's CES booth to talk about the
| product, nor any spec sheets detailing features of the device.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=2002660190&rid=-50

A Little 'Intel' on Apple's Next Move

,----[ Quote ]
| There are hints from other vendors using Intel chips that the subnotebook
| category could be a winner in 2008. Consider the Asus Eeepc, a tiny, $350
| notebook with a 7-inch screen that weighs less than a pound and uses an Intel
| Celeron chip. It runs Linux, supports Wi-Fi, and from what I'm hearing has
| sold some 400,000 units worldwide.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2008/tc2008014_140372.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

Linux-powered Mobile Internet Device video walkthrough

,----[ Quote ]
| The finalized product could obviously change ever-so-sightly between
| now and then, but regardless, be sure to click on through for an
| in-action look at Intel's Linux-based MID, and try not to become
| too envious, capiche?
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/05/linux-powered-mobile-internet-device-video-walkthrough/

UMPC News : New Linux distro for MIDs to be launched in May. Redflag
Mid Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.umpcportal.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=480