Re: [News] A Look at Two Open-ended Linux-based Devices

> Neuros OSD - ushering in fresh air to the term Open Source Hardware
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Simply put Neuros OSD is a device which allows you to digitize and playback
>| all your media - be they audio or video from a variety of sources such as VHS
>| tapes, DVDs, home movies or TV shows. What is noteworthy about this product
>| is that the full documentation of the hardware specifications for this
>| product has been released by the company (Neuros Technology International) as
>| open source. This opens up avenues for skilled users to customize the device
>| and pass on the improvements to other users. What is more, OSD is powered
>| using Linux.
> `----
>
> http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2008/01/neuros-osd-ushering-in-fresh-air-to.html
>
> Bug Labs Sets Pricing: $349 For Open-Source Mobile Gadget
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The "Bug" base unit will cost $349 and is set to ship this quarter -- QA
>| testing delayed the company's initial 4Q07 ship date. Late last year, Bug
>| Labs founder Peter Semmelhack gave us a tour of the device.
> `----
>
> http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/01/bug-labs-sets-pricing-349-for-opensource-mobile-gadget.html
>
> Bug Labs Announces Pricing, Availability, and Other Details
>
> http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/mobile/15685/bug-labs-announces-pricing-availability-other-details
> http://tinyurl.com/2zvgo8

Both are fantastic examples of the technology industry breaking free of
the Microsoft locks at last.  I think that we're going to see several
generations of appliances doing all kinds of "standard PC things", but
in user-friendly ways.  The days of the mouse, keyboard and VDU being
the primary interface for most of these things are certainly over, more
likely, mobile terminals like the nokia N800 or openmoko phones or Eee
or OLPC devices will provide web-based access to devices, and they will
have basic capabilities built-in with simple controls, in the same way
that televisions have been mostly "remotely controlled" for the last 20
years, with just simple controls directly mounted on the device.

A resoundingly useful thing would be a proper common standard for IR
remote controls...